Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Trouble

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DI V2.0

DI V2.0

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 10 December 2005 - 02:10 AM

I have two hard drives in my PC, a 7200RPM 80GB Maxtor which is the master and a 7200RPM 120GB Maxtor which is the slave. When I play an audio or video file on the 120GB drive the sound pops, cracks, and skips but when I play the same file on the 80GB drive it sounds fine. I ran the Windows scandisk utility, I reformatted the drive, I defragmented the drive, I ran a thorough test using Maxtor's PowerMax V4.21, and I rearranged the cables in my case to try and eliminate any possible EMF problems but so far nothing has helped. Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 10 December 2005 - 02:56 AM

You may need a new cable. We had a member here a few months ago, could not boot his HD. As a last thing to try, he/she put a new cable in.
Can't say that is your problem, but it does appear to be an interference issue.
If you feel bravelay the drive outside the case and see if the problem pursists. Have you tried it on the other IDE bus?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 DI V2.0

DI V2.0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2005 - 03:16 PM

I haven't tried it on the other IDE bus because I have two drives on the primary bus and the same cable, one works fine and the other has the audio problem, I have pretty much eliminated everything but the cable and I don't have any extras laying around unfortunately so I'm going to try and pick one up this afternoon. So if the cable is the problem and the master on the same cable works fine then is the slave connector on the cable bad or could there be some kind of interference? If I get the chance to replace the cable I'll post whether it fixes the problem or not so wish me luck.

#4 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2005 - 09:15 PM

Dear DI V2,

This is going to sound like a broken record but what is the wattage of your power supply?

You are running two 7200 hard drives and one is enough to give most power supplies problems.

I hope the new cable works and it sounds like a cable problem but just throwing in the monkey.

Sorry. :thumbsup:

Let us know,

junkdk :flowers:
Your Hardware Guide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users