Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

losing bios settings

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 baso3456

baso3456

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:56 PM

I already installed a new 3v battery in my biostar mb but I keep losing the bios settings when I switch the power supply to the off position. I believe the battery is at 3.02v according to everest. Any idea on what the cause is? I had to install a fan last night and turned off the power to the machine and lost my settings. The night before I had to remove some ram and replace it as it was showing up as an empty slot in cpu-z and had the same thing happen. Is there a setting in the bios perhaps that disables the battery from functioning?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Yoshistr

Yoshistr

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 09 January 2011 - 04:23 PM

Make sure you have the battery in correctly, most motherboards accept the CMOS battery with the (+) positive side facing upwards (away from the motherboard with the (-) negative terminal facing the inward contacts verify with the markings near the battery holder on the mobo.
If this is correct, reset the bios using the cmos jumper reset method with the battery in.
See here for this (http://www.dewassoc.com/support/bios/bios_password.htm).
If this still does not resolve the issue let us know and we can figure out what is going on.
Yoshistr Support Team

#3 baso3456

baso3456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:07 PM

I reset the bios using the jumper pins. That did not help. The battery is installed vertically in the moterboard and the + side is facing away from the board. Everest Home Edition shows a 3.02 voltage that I think is the cmos battery voltage.
[VBAT Battery 3.02 V] I did not remove the battery again since I am showing this reading in everest.

#4 Yoshistr

Yoshistr

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:11 PM

Were you losing your settings with the previous CMOS battery installed and was that the
reason you switched the battery or am I missing something?
If this was the case try to cold solder the contacts holding the battery holder to the motherboard.
Be careful not to short circuit anything, and that the motherboard is grounded either with a wire
or directly and use an anti static wrap underneath to avoid unwanted discharge reaching any components.
Yoshistr Support Team

#5 baso3456

baso3456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:21 PM

I lost my settings. I replaced the battery because it was at 2.9v. The computer sat for a year unused before this week. I do not lose my settings when I shut down windows. It is only when I actually turn the power switch on the back of the antec power supply when I lose my settings. When the computer is normally shut down for the night I will sometimes turn off the power switch on the monitor. I never use the switch on the power supply unless I am going to work inside the machine. There is still power going to the board when it is normally shut down. I can see my ethernet card light is on even when the machine is down. If I use the switch on the power supply, then the light goes off. I dont think its worth removing the board and risk shorting something. The worst that happens is that my bios goes to default. I am not an overclocker and dont care to be. One of the reasons I like to set the bios is because the ram voltage goes to 2.72v in default mode. I see the spec for my ram is 2.5v. The lowest voltage I can choose is 2.66v and this is what I set it at along with a little different timings. I dont know why the bios has this high voltage when the ram is listed at 2.5. The bios lets me go to over 2.9 if I like.

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:40 PM

What model Biostar motherboard?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#7 baso3456

baso3456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:26 PM

GeForce 6100-M9 ver.1x for a socket 939.

#8 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:31 PM

Silly stuff first. Is the CMOS jumper set correctly? Lower right of board, labeled CMOS1. Pins 1&2 should be shorted for normal op. Pins 2&3 for reset. Any swollen/blown caps? Battery in correctly? Battery good?

If the above is OK, mobo is bad. FWIW, 16 years ago I had an Abit, or Asus board with a P166 that would drain the CMOS battery and cause the symptoms you describe. Flakey board. Just not a lot of things can cause this problem.

I do wish you luck.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#9 baso3456

baso3456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2011 - 02:04 AM

We'll it pays to check the simple stuff. I just unplugged my power cord and tried starting the computer and did not lose my settings. I tried turning the power supply switch to off also, and did not lose my settings. I was pushing on the battery with a screwdriver and noticed that it moved a bit. So I jammed a small piece of plastic between the battery and one of its plastic holders to make it snug and this cured my problem. I am wondering how can this be the case when I was able to get voltage readings in Everest. There are some metal tangs that make contact with the positive side of the battery and they may be a bit lose from removing the old battery perhaps. But I am leaving well enough alone. Its working! My Biostar manual makes no mention of the battery. Does anyone know at what voltage it should be replaced and what is the voltage of a new battery. I found one laying around unused from a 2 pack that I probably bought for my wristwatch a few years ago and am using this one. Is the VBatt I am reading in Everest the bios battery or not? Thanks for the helpful discussion guys.

#10 ssuuddoo

ssuuddoo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 01 June 2011 - 03:14 AM

thnx 4 info too. am having the same issuel, will control the placement battery and maybe put something 2 it. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users