Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:37 PM
not to be rude but i did its was
MSI 870-G45 Mobo
Ultra LSP 750 watt PSU
AMD Phenom X2 Black Edition 3.2 GHZ
Gskill Ripjaws 2x2GB 1333mhz
Nvidia Geforce 9800 GTX+
and a new case
but all give a lot of details on what we have tried and whats going on!
When i turn it on i get the normal post blah blah blah but the HDD have a odd message, the secondary hard drive perfectly fine, but the primary hard drive says
"Pri Master hard disk: S.M.A.R.T Status BAD,Backup and Replace"
Well first i kinda figured it would be like that seeing as retarded s.m.a.r.t. has been saying that well since he orginially got that HDD over 2 years ago and it has been fine. Now normally i would just go into the BIOS and disable retarded SMART but for some odd reason this bios has no setting to disable the SMART on the HDD.
I know for a fact the HDD works becuz a few days ago well.... he was using it, but i guess since this is a newer more high end MOBO in comparison to the ancient dinosaur he had that it wont allow you to continue if u have a SMART error.Now first i will say that he needs to have have his computer working ASAP!!!! because it is the only means he has to do his school work on.Second Reinstalling windows is under no circumstance ever going to be even considered as an optionand third please dont just read this and think i am a nut cuz i know it may come off like i am sounding kinda like a jerk but you have to understand i just spent near 700 of my financial aid money to get him something for XMAS and something he needed desperately and it isnt workin.
SO with all that being laid out there i will move onto the things i have tried so far:
* Nearly every humanly possible order or different way of unplugging something (PSU, MOBO power, CPU power, etc...) and resetting stuff
* i have tried prolly every type off resetting method of actual hold buttons to unplugging and removing hardware and putting it back in
* I have tried diff ram configurations
* i have tried running it with just the main primary drive hooked up and no secondary drive
* clearing the bios
* checkin the bios 536546564356456 times for a SMART option NO THERE IS NOT ONE AVAILABLE!
* downgrading the bios to a more stable version, because apparently nearly every gaming forum or mobo discussions said the new firmware release for the bios on this board had so many bugs and errors that it was nearly inoperable
* i read on place where a guy made a good point that seemed plausible so i tried it without success, it was that since the MOBO is now an AMD board and the hdd were previously hooked up to a board that was an intel processor that some file or something still resides and can mess up the OS from loading right, so i started the recovery console and disabled it and to my surprise it had said that it was already disabled, so that ended up being a waist of time as it was already set correctly
* i have tried booting in literally every mode normal, safe mode (all types of safe mode), directory services, debugging mode, etc... and they all do the same exact thing, they load fine until it gets to the XP loading screen then it flashes an really quick BSOD u cant read anything off it or anything its just a quick flash then the whole process restarts again, and it does that every time now matter what you pick
* then i finally broke out the big guns hooked up the primary master drive as an external drive and with smartmontools i disabled SMART and the auto-thingy that has to do with SMART that checks like every four hours or something, i dont remember what it was but point is they are disabled, reattached them to the comp and BAM! it was enabled again.
So now let me say i am not sure if the SMART is the issue here, it may very well not be
i thought it could be something to do perhaps witht he fact that the HDD still has all the old information for the old INTEL board on it, all the chipset drivers and everything and this is a completly diff. board with a entirely diff CPU brand.