Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win XP won't start up (boot up) or enter safe mode

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 anonanon

anonanon

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:18 PM

I am running Windows XP Professional (SP3). It shut itself off and Windows won't restart; it goes to the logo/splash screen and hangs there.

I get a choice of several options, all of which don't work:

- Last known good configuration and Start windows normally; these lead to it hanging at the logo screen (for hours).

- Safe Mode, three kinds (plain, with command prompt, with networking) -- a series of commands or file names scroll down the screen, then they freeze; nothing else happens The file names are all in windows\system\drivers, and the last one (where it hangs?) is Mup.sys

I tried booting from the original Win XP CD to get to the Recovery Console or do a repair installation. When I did this yesterday, it copied files and tried to start windows and then gave me an error message (windows has detected an error and needs to shut down), but then when I tried to restart Windows normally, Win XP started up fine. So that seemed like the solution. Except -- today WinXP shut itself down while I was working again and couldn't restart itself, and now the "fix" via booting from the Win XP CD doesn't work. I get stuck at the logo screen. I've tried repeatedly, but it doesn't work.

I can get into the BIOS by pressing "Delete", but don't know of anything to do in BIOS to help Windows start up.

Some background: I did not add any new hardware or software recently. I don't think it's a virus or malware. I have good antivirus protection (Avira, MSSE), did a routine security patching of all programs about a week ago (using secunia.com's Online Software Inspector), and have had no signs of a virus infection prior to this problem. Although, I have multiple antivirus programs and that can be a problem in some cases, this combination has worked fine on the problem computer for 6 months, and I have two other computers with the same OS and antivirus programs and they work fine too.

Does anyone have ideas for what I can try next?

Thanks,

Roger

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:40 PM

System manufacturer and model?

If custom desktop...consider the PSU as a suspect.

Have you tried running the chkdsk /r command from the Recovery Console? If not, please do so.

If chkdsk /r completes with no errors/interruptions...I would follow that up with the appropriate hard drive diagnostic, long test.

I suggest...that you refrain from your inclination to run multiple AV programs...and uninstall all except one.

In the event that chkdsk /r cannot complete...please write down any onscreen error message exactly as it appears.

Louis

#3 anonanon

anonanon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:51 PM

Thanks for the ideas.

It is a custom made desktop (JNCS built it). I will look into the power supply, which could explain the shutdown (it happened twice). However, when it tries to restart, there doesn't seem to be a power supply problem. It just hangs at the logo screen and stays there for hours. Could a power supply problem prevent Win XP from starting while still causes the logo screen to be displayed on the monitor and powering the "on" light on the cabinet and the hard drive fan?

Unfortunately, I cannot get into the Recovery Console. At least I don't know how to. When I try to boot from the original Win XP CD, it does what I described earlier. It freezes at an error message (I can give details on that if it helps) and I never get to choose the recovery console, repair installation, new installation, etc. Is there any other way to get into the Recovery Console? Or to run chkdsk?

Thanks again,
Roger

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 04:17 PM

Please...post the error message received.

Whether the system is working or not...as long as your optical drive is working and the hard drive with Windows is detected...you should be able to enter the RC.

If no Windows install is detected...that just points back to a hardware/hard drive problem (IMO).

Louis

#5 Yoshistr

Yoshistr

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 04:32 PM

It is unlikely that it is the PSU since it attempts to load up Windows and hangs there rather than shutting down.
You also said after repairing the first time it booted up but randomly shut down.
This indicates that some software installed may be trying to modify the system files for windows causing this issue.
You can use recovery console by loading a windows boot cd that has the option, some do not have this option.
Try to boot it into safe mode and see if that resolves the issue, ultimately you will need to load a recovery console and do a diskchk followed by a bootcfg command to check the boot configuration and a fixboot to make sure the boot record is correct. If all of this is correct you will need to do a soft repair by replacing all the windows system files from the recovery cd onto the hard drive then try to boot up.
Yoshistr Support Team

#6 anonanon

anonanon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 07:29 PM

First, a reply to hamluis's post:

when I choose a safe boot mode, I get a screen full of lines like this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\****

where **** is one of a series of file names; the last three are Ntfs.sys, NDIS.sys, and Mup.sys.

When I boot from the Windows XP CD, it goes into Windows Setup, loads a series of files (that are described in general terms while loading), then says it's starting Windows, and then I get this message on a blue background:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer....

[snip]

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (OxF78D2524,0xC0000034,0x00000000,Ox00000000)

"

So do you think there may be a hardware problem that is preventing the optical CD from being able to load the Recovery Console? I have added no new hardware lately (or ever, actually; the PC is two years old).

#7 anonanon

anonanon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 07:37 PM

Replying to Yoshistr:

Thanks for your ideas. Re. software, I haven't installed anything new lately, and wasn't using anything new or unusual when the two shutdowns occurred.

Re. loading a windows CD that has the recovery console option -- I'm not sure that the one I have has this option (though I can check it on a different computer). But the problem I'm having is more basic -- I can't even boot the computer from the Win XP CD. Maybe I should check that I can boot another computer from it, assuming that would cause no problems for the other computer. Should I try that? When should I exit from the CD to avoid causing problems?

Re. the power supply possibility, is it possible that the power supply is providing enough power to start the bootup, but not enough for Win XP to load? Just a thought. The way it shut down and tried to start up those two times was just like when there's a power outage.

Thanks again for your help,
Roger

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:20 PM

Just my opinion...your STOP error is common, occurs often when users are trying or have tried to reinstall Windows.

Since the sequence, as I understand it...is that files are copied first into memory from the CD, then a check is done for the hard drives/partitions on which the files can be written...it makes sense to me to check the hard drive, since your error pops up just before the point where your install/hard drive would be reflected onscreen.

Of course...if you don't have a MS Genuine XP CD, this does not apply.

Louis

#9 anonanon

anonanon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:17 PM

Louis,

Okay, it sounds like the hard drive is the main suspect. But how can I go about checking the hard drive, if I can't boot from the Win XP CD or get to the Recovery Console on it?

Re. the CD, I'm sure it's a licensed copy sold by MS to the manufacturer and then to me as part of the PC that I bought, and not a bootleg. Is that what you mean by Genuine MS XP?

Roger

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:28 PM

Go to the manufacturer's web site for this hdd and download their diagnostic tool. This will be burned as a ISO file to a CD which you will boot from to run the diagnostic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,318 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:46 AM

• Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

• If your PC is not booting from the CD, you need to change the boot order:
    • Restart your PC
    • As soon as you get an image, press the Setup key. This is usually F2, or Del. On some machines the key can also be a different one. It should, however, be stated on the screen which key is the setup key.
    • Once you enter the computer's BIOS, use the arrow keys and tab key to move between elements. Press enter to select an item to change.
    • Navigate to the tab, where you can set the boot order. It should be called Boot or Boot order
    • The tab should now show your current boot order.
      If the CD-drive is not at the top, please navigate to the CD-Rom drive with the keys arrows. Then move it to the top of the list. The keys for switching boot position are usually + to move up and - to move down. However they can be different, but they should be stated in the help, so that you can find them easily.
    • Once the CD-drive is on top of the boot order, navigate to Exit and select Exit saving changes.
  • Your PC should now boot from your XP-CD.
    Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

• When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
  • When prompted to choose a windows installation, type 1 and press enter.
  • When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

• A command prompt will open
Type fixmbr and press enter.

Confirm to rewrite the MBR if asked. When done type EXIT and press enter to reboot.

Let me know what happens now when you start up your computer.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#12 anonanon

anonanon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:47 AM

Elise,

Thanks for this idea. But I did use the BIOS settings to force it to boot from the CD, and, as I described in posts # 1 and 6 of this thread, the CD initiated "Windows Setup" and "loaded" many files before it gave me the error message described in post # 6. I never got to a screen asking me to choose recovery console, repair installation, etc. I've done this repeatedly and it produces the same error message.

Any other ideas? So far I've been advised to check the hard drive and the RAM, using tools found online. I haven't had a chance to try that yet.

Roger

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:05 AM

<<Is that what you mean by Genuine MS XP?>>

No...MS Genuine XP refers to official versions sold by Microsoft...and this is totally different from CDs which might be provided by OEMs (HP, Lenovo, etc.) to users/purchasers of systems sold by the OEMs, no matter what they may be described as (recovery CD, restore CD, installation CD, etc.).

Louis

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:40 AM

There are two versions of the Microsoft Windows XP operating system. OEM stands for "Original Equipment Manufacturer," and these versions are sold to computer system builders like Dell or Gateway. These versions have a few limitations like support and licensing. OEM versions are tied to the original computer the operating system is installed on, so you cannot install or use it on another machine. Retail versions of Windows XP are fully supported, and you can install it on any machine. You can detect an OEM version of Windows XP by viewing the packaging or the hologram on the installation CD.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#15 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:51 PM

When I boot from the Windows XP CD ...
*** STOP: 0x0000007B

You have a SATA HDD but the XP CD does not have the drivers for SATA: Hence the 7B Stop error.

To overcome this obstacle ...

Enter the BIOS Setup Menu and change the mode in which the hard drive works ...
from SATA/RAID on/AHCI to Raid autodetect/ATA (or IDE) compatible.
The exact wording used for each option will vary depending on your own particular BIOS version.
Exit, saving the changes and allowing the system to boot from the XP CD. It should now work as Elise etal (and others) described above.

See either of the following links for confirmation:

WIN XP-Media Center Edition05 - boot issue, no safe mode,...

Help! Got unmountable boot drive blue screen error

Edited by AustrAlien, 10 January 2011 - 03:07 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users