Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Got the .exe bad image error

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cam-uk

Cam-uk

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:59 AM

Hope somebody can help.

Yesterday I was on a website (UK mobile provider) which vrashed the pc.

On restart, after the windows tune (running vistas home basic) there is an horrific electrical "noise" blasts through the speakers.

On initiating windows I get several "Application.exe - bad image: This file is not meant for windows or is corrupted" messages, all seem to be taskbar files that load at startup. I get the same if i try to start any application from program menu.

I have ran Combofix and generated a log, issue is there still, "openfiles.exe" is infected according to the log.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get this fixed? Also it prevents networking and internet connection.

I am using another laptop to post.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cam-uk

Cam-uk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:32 PM

Just to calrify

System is Vista home Basic
Running Kapersky Internet Security 2011
When starting up all automatic starup programes report the following

Pop-up title "Applicationname.exe - bad image"
Pop-up message "Filepath.... is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendoe for support."

I can log on to my Vist user account (Administrator) but cannot access the internet, if i start a program from the start menu, i get the same error as above.

Malware Bytes reports no infection
Hijack this reports nothing
ComboFix reports "openfiles.exe" is infected

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users