Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Locked Topics??

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 matthew180

matthew180

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:17 AM

I'm new to bleeping computer, but not new to Internet forums, and I just ran across a topic that I was participating in and found it locked... Who makes such decisions? Personally I've never been on a forum where someone gets to decide that a topic has been answered satisfactorily, and closes the thread to any new posts. Usually people just get sick of trying to answer a person's questions and simply quit replying, but the point at which anyone gives up on a thread depends on any given individual. Frustrating to say the least.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,949 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:54 PM

Reasons for locking topics vary, and those who lock them are moderators or above.

Which topic is locked that you say you were participating in? I do not find a topic that you have posted to that is locked.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:18 PM

As Orange Blossom states we are unable to find a topic you are participating in closed or locked from this list: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=user_activity&mid=624878

The decision to close a topic can range from a request by the original poster of the topic, or a staff decision that the topic is hopelessly off topic and lost it's value. Or that the further discussion would violate the rules. There is no one size fits all reason. We do close malware log topic as resolved or close discussion topics if the member ultimately posts a log. As long as the topic is not in jeopardy of infringing guidelines or rules of the forum we do not close them.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 matthew180

matthew180
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:34 PM

After I posted this message I had the idea to PM the moderator and ask to have the thread unlocked. Apparently that happened pretty quickly, since neither of you saw the thread in the locked state. I probably should have PM'd the moderator first, it just didn't cross my mind until a little later. Sorry.

The thread in questions is not really out of context, vulgar, or anything like that, but I suppose the O.P. is not "getting it" and the moderator felt the original questions were answered (which they were.) I guess my tolerance for those kinds of threads is higher than the moderator's. ;)

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:04 PM

but I suppose the O.P. is not "getting it" and the moderator felt the original questions were answered (which they were.) I guess my tolerance for those kinds of threads is higher than the moderator's. ;)

If the questions have been answered and it now becomes a matter of just :deadhorse: we will close the topic. I hadn't considered that possibility in my quick list of reasons, since that is one of the more rare instances. That also becomes a judgment call with a moderator. So there isn't really a one size fits all template for that occurrence.

Thanks for letting us know you were able to participate as you wished.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users