Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System image

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jose_007

jose_007

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:20 AM

I am trying to create a system image but somehow cant do it becoz it is including all the files of RECOVERY(System) disk and C drive which adds up to 78 GB(8+70) but available space on D drive is only 58GB.
Please suggest a solution since I thought system image includes only necessary drivers and windows files but this image is including data in my documents folder too.

2)Also since there is a drive named RECOVERY(SYSTEM) on laptop,is there really need to create a system image ??

Please help.

Thanks
Jose

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrischris

chrischris

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:00 PM

System Image is a complete image of your HD...the whole thing. Based on your comments, you may really want to create a system restore point. Read the Help and Support material (on the Start Menu) regarding system protection, system restore, and images.

#3 jose_007

jose_007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:07 PM

Since I dont get any installation DVD/USB flash drive so i wanted something with which I could get back my laptop in case something goes wrong.
I was thinking of creating a repair disc after creating system image.

Anything wrong in this ?

Thanks
Jose

#4 chrischris

chrischris

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:47 PM

That's what you're supposed to do. Good luck.

#5 jose_007

jose_007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:10 AM

chrischris,
Sorry but I ddint get you.Shouldnt system image only contain win7OS and drivers.Why is it including all the files ?
I dont want to back up rest of my data with system image.I wanted an image with fresh laptop.Is it possible ?

I don't trust system restore anymore because it didnt work for me when I used it on my xp pc few months back.

Sorry if I am messing this up but clearly I havent been able to understand how to back up my OS only ...figuring it out for months
Thanks
Jose

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:33 AM

In this topic, wasn't this answered? Caperjack had suggested that you purchase the restore disks from Dell for this purpose.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 jose_007

jose_007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:52 AM

Sir,
I am in India.I thought that request option was for USA only.

Anyways now problem is solved.I bought an external hard disk and will create system image on it.

Thanks everyone
Jose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users