Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

msis31.dll

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JohnCe

JohnCe

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:38 AM

Dell Dimension DM051, Pentium 4 3.00GHz, 2.50 GB Ram, XP Media Centre Edition, Ver. 2002, Service Pack 3..
Hello everyone again! I`ve been plagued for months, by a pop up message from Kapersky Internet security 2009 wanting `to close` usually after updating itself. Sometimes it will actually close and at other times just stop updating.
As a last resort, I cleared half a dozen `vulnerabilities` from Programme Files.
3 @ Prog.Files/java/jre 1-6.0_03/bin/java.exe (with 02 and 01 replacing 03 for the others)
1 @ Prog.Files/Trackersoftware/PDFViewer/pdfxcview.exe
2 @ Prog.Files/Google/Google SketchUp 6 (and 7 )
I think I had a warning when removing `pdfxcview.exe`, but removed it anyway.
After a few hours and no warning messeges from Kaperskey I thought it would be a good idea to set a `restore point`.
This message came up:- DDE Server Window RSTRUI.exe unable to locate component `msls31.dll` and an empty restore point window.
I`ve tried:-- SFC /scannow, CHKDSK /F /R, Safemode with command prompt;- %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe, and Last Known Good Configuration. Scan with Dr.Webbs Cure It. Trend Micro Housecall would not start.
AS I have now realised that I am dealing with a registry problem I am asking for help from my favorite computer forum!
Many thanks, John. :thumbup2:

Edited by JohnCe, 09 January 2011 - 03:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:02 PM

Hi -
Can you do a quick check on the .dll you have listed -
Do you mean MSLS31.dll - File Description: Microsoft Line Services library file -
I have written it in capital letters only so you can check the item -
Are you using I.E. as your main browser or do you use Firefox at all - This may remove the problem -
Also Kaspersky 2009 should be updated to a newer version , or a new free A/V installed (like M/soft Security Essentials)

Thank You -

msls31.dll is a process belonging to the IE program .
msls31.dll is the library file used by Internet Explorer and Word applications to provide Unicode support.

EDITED for more information -

Edited by noknojon, 09 January 2011 - 03:10 PM.

#3 JohnCe

JohnCe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:39 PM

Thanks for the reply, yes it should read msls31.dll :huh: , and I use Firefox.
Regards, John .

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 09 January 2011 - 07:12 PM

Hi again John -
I found this repair item from M/soft that may help - Please read it -
Regarding IE, you probably have a damaged msls31.dll file, possibly others, too, in your IE installation.
I suggest you repair IE and then ensure that you have the latest cumulative update. These are not shown on the normal Windows update
web page.

How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook
Express in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318378
Thank You -

#5 JohnCe

JohnCe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:20 AM

Thanks Noknojon, I feel a long session of file back-up coming on------!
I`ll speak to you again in a couple of days --- or more!
Regards John.

#6 JohnCe

JohnCe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2011 - 05:01 AM

Many thanks for your help Noknojon, I`m up and running again! :thumbsup: .
The repair link didn`t work though (probably because my version of IE. came out of the ark!), but I downloaded and installed the latest version from Microsoft and that solved the problem of the missing file msls31.dll.
On your suggestion, I have updated my version of kaperskey IS. - - - and promptly recieved a message telling me it wanted to close! Ah well, back to the drawing board :busy: .
Thanks again , regards John.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users