Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home page

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 defurman

defurman

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:14 AM

I currently have Google set as my home page but would love to have a web page of my own design something similar to MSN or Maxthon but without all the adds. Could someone recommend a tutorial or link i could follow please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:45 AM

I had a quick look and I did not see anything that stood out. Initially you need something that is very simple and you can build on as you learn html. The ones I saw immediately go into html code rather than a simple pictorial tutorial with a wysiwyg editor.

I don't use the websites you referred to. Most of those sites use all sorts of scripts and flash etc so those are not a good target to aim for. Some of the links on those pages you may be able to copy on to yours. If you want something that fancy, there is a lot of learning to do.

My home page is on my computer, not on the Internet (so it loads instantly). I have my most-used links on the page with a background picture. Being off the Internet you don't have to worry about conforming to any standards. If it works, it works. A good place to try without embarrassment being online, and no web site needed.

You can surf yourself looking for guides you think you may understand. I (or someone else I'm sure) could write a quick guide to make a page with a few links and a table so you can see some basics.

#3 defurman

defurman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:53 AM

I would like a link for the BBC News and perhaps Google search. Shall start looking for my favourite site's links . Thanks for the reply Nanobyte

Edited by defurman, 10 January 2011 - 08:56 AM.

#4 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:46 PM

I'm not sure what you are intending to when you talk about looking for links. I have written a quick guide to creating a basic web/home page with text, a few links, a table and images. Unfortunately it does not seem you can add attachments in this forum. The guide is itself a simple web page. If you are interested let me know and I'll seek alternative methods of posting.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,563 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:25 PM

Maybe something as simple as igoogle where you add your own content?

http://www.google.com/ig

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 defurman

defurman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:29 AM

Something as simple as 'igoogle' would be ideal. I look forward to configuring IGoogle to my hearts content with out the hassle of using code myself. Big thanks to Animal and Nanobyte

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,563 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:03 PM

You're welcome.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users