Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Operating System

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhart

OldPhart

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 09 January 2011 - 07:41 AM

I rec'd a Sony Vaio Laptop as a gift Model #pcg-k23. It boots up to a blck screen w/ the error message "Missing Operating System". I've tried to install XP Pro SP2 but I get an error messge that says a hard drive can not be detected. I don't have Sony recovery discs; are they the easy way out? Ican get tto a DOS-prompt w/ a little effort; is there a way to get windows to load from there? IT seems that the C drive recognizes the X drive but the X drive does NOT recognize the C drive. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, OP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:15 AM

# Turn on the computer.
# When the SONY logo is displayed, press the F10 key.
# In the VAIO Recovery Wizard window, click the Next button.
# Under Recovery Options , click to select the C Drive Recovery option.
# Click the Next button.

NOTES:

* A C Drive Recovery will return the (C:) drive to its original, factory-installed state. All software and data on the (C:) drive will be erased. If there is a (D:) drive, it is unaffected.
* Only a C Drive Recovery can be performed using the VAIO Recovery Wizard on the Recovery Drive. For a Custom Recovery with options for removing or reinstalling the Recovery Drive, use the Recovery Media Kit.

# Under C Drive Recovery , click the Next button.
# Under Click Finish... , click the Finish button.

NOTE: The computer will restart.
# Under Recovery Progress , when the recovery is Completed , click the Next button.
# Under The Recovery process is complete , click the Finish button.
# After the computer restarts, the operating system setup wizard will start. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup wizard.

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/documentLink.do?externalId=C295487
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 OldPhart

OldPhart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:34 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm still getting the "Operating System Not Found Message". I cycled thru the other "F" keys and F2 gets me to basic setup screen but that's it. Thanks, OP

#4 OldPhart

OldPhart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:39 AM

In the bios utility setup screen the "Primary IDE Adapter" is listed as none &the "SecondaryIDE Adapter" is listed as CD-ROM. Is that normal? OP

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:48 AM

I would think that the Primary IDE Adapter should show the hard drive. Perhaps the hard drive has died. You could try removing and then replacing the drive to see if that helps.

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/T99860098_Rev_D_NO_PHONE.pdf
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 OldPhart

OldPhart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:45 AM

I'll give it a whirl. Thanks, OP

#7 OldPhart

OldPhart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:12 PM

I got to a DOS prompt and attempted chkdsk C: /r and a scandisk commands and got "CDR101: Not ready reading drive X". What the heck is that all about? IF I do a "dir" command at the C: prompt the system shos 67 files and 0 directories. OP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users