Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 webmaster

webmaster

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 09 December 2005 - 11:27 PM

Athlon 1200mhz, 512 ram machine... has been running well, no new hardware installed or device drivers...

This week, noticed that during startup, the machine was rebooting.. didnt happen all the time.. but noticed it.. Today, it wouldn't boot normal mode.. and when I went into safe mode, it was throwing errors trying to load abus.something file.. which after review was alchohol and dameon tool related.. After a few reboots, I was able to get into the system ok, and quickly removed both dameon and alchohol 120.. After rebooting, the machine shows the windows startup page and then blue screens and quickly reboots without letting me see the screen details.

I grabbed the xp startup disc and tried to get into the repair section. It blue screens and shows.

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: aic78xx.sys
stop: 0x000000BE

I tried safe mode, seems to try and load up - but then reboots. I cant load in any way now.. Someone I know has the same machine, so I went over and started swapping hardware... Tried the ram, same problem, video, cd-rom.. same problem.. I even disconnected the hard drives and tried the xp repair, still shows the same blue screen details above..

Thinking this has to be motherboard related? Any insight/help would be greatly appreciated, spent most of the day on this :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance for the feedback

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dotan Cohen

Dotan Cohen

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 10 December 2005 - 07:00 AM

Did you try swapping out the power supply? Reboots and "motherboard problems" are often caused by failing power supplies.

Also, if you have any linux disks lying around you might want to perform memtest86. If you need to download one, then use slax: it is under 200 MB (the smallest distro that I know of- it is a liveCD).

Dotan Cohen
http://technology-sleuth.com/technical_ans...afe_online.html

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2005 - 08:33 AM

Usual cause of a 0x000000BE stop message: Bad driver

Find 0x000000BE on the list found HERE for further information (such as how to repair), or conduct a search of Microsoft's Knowledge Base using:
stop 0x000000BE
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 webmaster

webmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2005 - 02:16 PM

The reboots only happen after a quick blue screen is shown and in the same place.. If it was power related, wouldnt it reboot during the windows setup (i've left the screen and this run for a while without a reboot). I can't boot in safe mode, or any other option.. so going thru the stop 0BE text from the microsoft site are not an option (since this is what they recommend).

I tried the memTest from a floopy - not sure this worked right..., but also used a ram stick from someone with the same machine, not the same blue screen msg when I tried this, but it did blue screen..

The driver shown in the blue screen (when booting from the xp disc) happens after it looks at the hardware, then says starting setup...

aic78xx.sys driver says its adaptec family scsi driver. I dont have a scsi disc or piece of hardware on this machine..

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2005 - 05:30 PM

As long as you haven't disabled the Event Log service - the BSOD will shoot an event to the Event Log each time that it crashes. Here's how to find it (from a previous post of mine):

Next, please go to Start...Control Panel...Administrative Tools...Event Viewer. Once Event
Viewer opens there will be 3 categories listed in the left hand pane (Application, Security, and
System). Please click on each one (in turn) and view the messages for that category in the right
hand pane. Look for any error messages around the time of the last problem. Then right click on
the error and select "Properties". In the window that opens will be a text description of the
error - please copy it down and forward it to me.

The error text should generally be in the format of 0x0000007a - with the last 2 letters'numbers
changing depending upon the error. Also, usually another 4 sets of these numbers follows the
error message - they are important also. Finally, at times there is a file name mentioned with
the error message - please let me know what it is.

If there are too many errors to choose from, please let me know and we can proceed a bit
differently. Also, generally speaking, the usual location for this type of error will be in the
System category - but there is a possibility that it may be in the other areas. Please do not
erase your log files until we're finished troubleshooting this issue.

FWIW - the Adaptec driver is installed by many CD/DVD programs - and it may not have been removed by the uninstall routine.

Also, for a more definitive answer - search your hard drive for a minidump file in this format - mini121005-01.dmp (the numbers show today's date). If you find it, go to this site for information on how to analyze it (this is the link that I used to teach myself this technique): http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246

When the analysis first runs, you'll see some information on the dump - if you type in "!analyze -v" (without the quotes) it'll give you some hints on what to check (in the description of the error message).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users