Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Real-Time Compatibilty (MSE, Avast 5, Spybot)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shalom82

shalom82

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:38 AM

Hi guys, first of all I did a forum search but couldn't find a thorough answer to my query so I apologise if this has already been answered in other threads.

Basically, I bought a new laptop and am looking for the best protection combo.
I am a little burned as my old laptop got badly infected (damaged hd, screen of death, no system restore available etc) while using avast and spyware terminator, known to have compatible sheilds.

Now I'd like to avoid this problem. Here's what I have and I would greatly appreciate any suggestions and comments on compatibility/conflicts, on what I am missing, or on the contrary if what I'm doing is overkill.

My laptop has i3 processor, Windows 7 64bit OS. I use the chrome browser.

I use Avast 5 as an antivirus, and use MBAM and SuperAntiSpyware on demand.
I also have Spybot installed with it's teatimer active, as I heard this basically notifies of any registry changes.
I am looking for a free anti-spyware product with real-time protection and do NOT want to use SpywareTerminator ever again. So I downloaded and installed MSE. The problem is I am under the impression that this is also an AV product and therefore I am concerned that it's shield may conflict with Avast and/or the Spybot Teatimer.

Could anyone please clarify these issues and give me some tips on the best way to keep my pc safe with these products?

I greatly appreciate any help.

Cheerio

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 geek117

geek117

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 09 January 2011 - 06:50 AM

If you're going to run MSE, you might as well uninstall Avast. MSE's detection rate is much better, as is its performance. Not to mention the two programs conflict with each other. In the Settings, you will want to enable scanning of all downloads, and removable drives to enhance your realtime protection.

#3 shalom82

shalom82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:20 PM

If you're going to run MSE, you might as well uninstall Avast. MSE's detection rate is much better, as is its performance. Not to mention the two programs conflict with each other. In the Settings, you will want to enable scanning of all downloads, and removable drives to enhance your realtime protection.

Much appreciated.
However, can you please expand on this?
What are the compatibility issues, as I have read of some users running both MSE and Avast simultaneously.
Additionally, will Spybot's real-time create problems?
Do you have any alternative free real-time spyware protection products to recommend (compatible with either avast or MSE)?

Thank you.

#4 geek117

geek117

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:20 AM

Generally I've found that any applications that incorporate real-time scanning tend to conflict with each other in that alot of times they try and access the same files at the same time, receive errors because they can't scan the file, and then end up skipping it without telling you. With MSE v2 (the newest one recently released), the program also scans network activity, and will detect pretty much anything in real-time which may cause you more problems with Avast. You're better off just sticking with MSE.

As far as spyware goes, I'd say you're better off using the immunization from spybot, and also installing/applying Spyware Blaster to your computer so that you can block malicious sites from being accessed in the first place (minimizing drive by spyware dropping). Also, you should changed your DNS server settings to the public Google DNS servers, or consider using OpenDNS to block malicious content. If you're not familiar with the concept, the public Google DNS servers and OpenDNS will make your browsing experience more secure and help prevent you from accidentally grabbing malicious content by restricting your browsing to only known good sites.

The best way to prevent malware, is by keeping your computer from ever visiting the sites that distribute it.

Also, consider using Panda's USB Vaccine (also free), which will help prevent autoplay viruses from infecting your computer, and any removable media you may have. You should be able to find a few of these items in my signature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users