Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

internittently aquiring IP address

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 vancreef

vancreef

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:35 AM

Hi, and sorry if this has been asked before, but a search doesn't come up with anything. I am connected to the internet via Virgin Broadband, and the modem they supplied is connected to my Belkin wireless router. This then "broadcasts" the internet to 2 laptops and 1 PC, which works fine except for the fact that it intermittently drops and says "aquiring ip address", and the network connection icon goes to the one with the golden globe hovering around the pc. After a few second it comes back on, but at some point, normally after several hours, the "aquiring ip address" will appear and stays there, and the only way I can get it to work, is to unplug both modem and router power, wait a few seconds, and then plug them back in. after about 20 secs, the connection is restored and it will work fine for an unknown amount of time, but before long (minutes,hours), the aquiring ip problem comes back. I have a PC that is connected to the router with an ethernet lead and this never suffers from any connection problems.
Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Desion

Desion

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:16 PM

Maybe you have a weak wireless signal? Otherwise, i am not sure sorry

Edited by hamluis, 21 January 2011 - 07:22 AM.
Removed unnecessary quote.

Interesting Links:
Softpedia - Online downloads encyclopedia
W3Schools - Website Programming Tutorials
PC World - Everything about technology
Wikipedia - Online Encyclopedia
Photobucket - Free Image Hosting

"I don't support network bridges, they support me."

#3 Dmacf10

Dmacf10

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:19 PM

I would check the DHCP lease time on the router. Maybe increase it so you won't have to renew your IP address so often. It does seem like a major problem with your router though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users