Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro hidden Admin

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ricky606

Ricky606

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:22 PM

Hi!
Can i delete the hidden Admin on Win XP?
My OS is Win XP Pro, and I am the Admin of my computer, but there is already a hidden Admin as listed in Run>control userpasswords2
Can i safely delete that,so that there will be only one Admin and not two of them?
the reason is that some software do not want to be installed and say I am not the Admin(LOL)
Thanks !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:09 PM

Hi -
If you know the other password then there is no problem - You can create another account after you delete the first one -
You only need/should have one Admin account on the system, as I understand it -
Are you sure this other account IS an Admin account ?? or is it just another User account that has been made -

Thank You -

#3 Ricky606

Ricky606
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:50 AM

Thanks noknojon for the reply
yes the hidden Admin has full administrator rights as shown in run>control userpasswords2
This Admin also shows up when I am in Safe Mode along with my Admin account
So anyway i will delete this hidden Admin and keep only one Admin which is me
Thanks again!!

#4 M332

M332

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:41 PM

Great to know! I recently wanted to delete my other admin account but I didn't know how to get to the control userpasswords2 menu and was aggravated after much searching to no avail. I just deleted the second admin thanks to this thread so I really appreciate it.

Two Questions about the control userpasswords2 menu:

1. I am the only user can I delete the ASPNET user without causing problems so I'll only have the Administrator user?

2. If I uncheck the "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer" option then will the computer stop aggravating me with the annoying access/modify deny blocks that I encounter every now and then?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:53 PM

The ASPNET user account can be deleted.

It is only installed when a given version of MS.NET is installed and can be deleted/ignored/removed.

Louis

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 04:07 PM

When it comes to deleting accounts, you should always keep at least 1 admin level account. Because it can be needed at times you do not expect.

#7 ezrider714

ezrider714

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:27 PM

No reason to delete that hidden account, it might come in useful sometime, if you only have one Administrative level account and it becomes corrupted, your screwed, been there, done that. :angry:
EZ

#8 FIDELIS_IT

FIDELIS_IT

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:35 AM

If you are running windows xp pro you do not have to delete the hidden admin account. Just go to Local policies and disable that account.
CARPE DIEM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users