Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting up Network w/ Wired and Wireless Connections

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jtphenom

jtphenom

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:41 PM

Hi again, friends.

So I'm trying to set up a home network to where I can share files and printers. I have my router, one XP machine hooked directly to the router, one printer hooked up USB to that computer, another XP machine on the other side of the house, and a netbook with Windows 7 Home Premium (Starter). Both the 2nd XP machine and the netbook are doing fine using the wireless signal. But my main question is how to set it up to where they can each use the printer. Here are questions to get us started here:

1. Since I'm using a wireless network that everyone is on, do I still need to configure them all to be in a workgroup, meaning changing the name of the workgroup on each computer to be the same?

2. Should I make the workgroup name match the wireless network name that I set for my router?

I'm just really confused as to how the workgroup data interacts with the name of the wireless network that I have set on my router.

Thanks for any and all help!

Edited by jtphenom, 08 January 2011 - 09:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nate15329

Nate15329

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:36 PM

Hello jtphenom,

1. Your Workgoup name should be the same throughout your entire home network. So that, browsing your network would be easier and not make windows sharing conflicts in security.

2. The Workgroup name doesn't have to be your SSID of your wireless network.

To share your printer, share it out by right clicking onto your printer in the printer & faxes control panel & click sharing...
Then click Share this printer and name the share name to whatever you want. Then click Ok.

On the wireless computers,
click add a printer in the printer control panel of each machine. Then go till you see the options (local or network printer), select local printer.
Then select "use an existing port" then find the \\(computername)\(shared name of printer) in the list
next steps should be easy.

That should work as I have done it myself and works perfectly, since I had the same problem before.

#3 jtphenom

jtphenom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:11 PM

Thank you for the reply, Nate. So you're saying I should use the wireless network set-up wizard and not the regular one? Cool.

Well I was sitting down trying to figure this out today, and I suddenly realized that the printer does have an Ethernet port on it, and of course that makes it easier because you don't have to worry about workgroups at all when your printer is hooked right to the network. So I just set it up that way. The only bad thing is that now I cannot test your advice.

I'm still confused, though. With the wireless home network setup wizard in XP, it doesn't ask you to name a workgroup name per se; it only asks for an SSID and a key that you can assign yourself or have automatically assigned. That was one of my main confusions.. whether the SSID and key you give it has to coincide with the ones you have on the router.

I appreciate the help! :D

#4 Nate15329

Nate15329

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:56 PM

Jtphenom,

I never said anything about a set-up wizard at all.

SSID is just the name of your wifi signal and nothing else.

The key is your wifiís security from unwanted users to be using your internet illegally.

All which can be set-up manually or left alone.

You don't have to do anything with the ssid and key because your wireless networked machines have access to the internet.

The SSID and your wireless key will not affect your sharing abilities.

For the wired lan printer, install the correct software & drivers (which would most likely included in the software) on each machine, also during the installation it'll ask if you are setting up a networked or usb connected printer,

Choose networked and follow the installation instructions.

#5 jtphenom

jtphenom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:12 PM

Jtphenom,

I never said anything about a set-up wizard at all.

SSID is just the name of your wifi signal and nothing else.

OK but when you go to set up a wireless workgroup through the computer (Start > Network Places > "Set up a wireless network for a home or small office" on the left side of the screen), it asks you for an SSID and key. What I was asking is if you have to enter the same SSID and key that you have in the router.

The key is your wifiís security from unwanted users to be using your internet illegally.

Right. I understand that.

You don't have to do anything with the ssid and key because your wireless networked machines have access to the internet.

So you're saying that, if I want to have a mix of wired and wireless machines in a workgroup on my network, I do not need to use the wizard I mentioned above?

For the wired lan printer, install the correct software & drivers (which would most likely included in the software) on each machine, also during the installation it'll ask if you are setting up a networked or usb connected printer,

Choose networked and follow the installation instructions.

Right. I think I get that part.

I guess what it comes down to is this: If I am setting up a workgroup with a mix of wired and wireless computers, do I need to use the wireless setup wizard that is in "Network Places", or can I use the standard one, "Set up a home or small office network"? And IF I have to use the wireless one, again, do I put in the same SSID and key as I have on my router?

Thanks again for your help!

#6 Nate15329

Nate15329

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:48 PM

OK but when you go to set up a wireless workgroup through the computer (Start > Network Places > "Set up a wireless network for a home or small office" on the left side of the screen), it asks you for an SSID and key. What I was asking is if you have to enter the same SSID and key that you have in the router.

So you're saying that, if I want to have a mix of wired and wireless machines in a workgroup on my network, I do not need to use the wizard I mentioned above?

Yes, but try this way, Windows XP change workgroup and Windows 7 change workgroup

I guess what it comes down to is this: If I am setting up a workgroup with a mix of wired and wireless computers, do I need to use the wireless setup wizard that is in "Network Places", or can I use the standard one, "Set up a home or small office network"? And IF I have to use the wireless one, again, do I put in the same SSID and key as I have on my router?

Well, the wireless setup wizard for the wireless computers and the standard wizard for wired computers, and if you use the wireless one, yeah you put in the same SSID & key as what is on the router.
Personally, I don't use those wizards, just the links I posted is what I do for changing the workgroup to match.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users