Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to connect to the internet / modem

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 drksky2103

drksky2103

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:22 PM

We had to reinstall windows xp onto our desktop computer and once the instalation was complete we tried to access the internet, of course there was a problem, no matter what we have tried we are unable to get the computer to recognize anything, there is no internet connection and we are unable to find a way to make a connect. According to my husband the computer is not recognizing the DSL connection, i know our wireless is working because it is active on or borrowed laptop and on the WII.
Anj

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:21 PM

Hi -
Go Start > Control Panel > Network Connections and see what is listed there -
Or try in the same area Network Setup Wizard as you may need to create a new account -
Hook the computer up to the router ethernet cable and try it directly through there -
Right click on the connection in Network Connections and see if it is recognised there -

Thank You -

#3 drksky2103

drksky2103
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:51 PM

that has already been tried.
we found a network addapter to install but the ethernet addapter is not working correctly (this is according to the old man, i am a faster typer so he does the work and i do the writing) everything was working correctly before we did the reinstall today.

Anj

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:31 AM

Do you have any errors in Device Manager?

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#5 drksky2103

drksky2103
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:35 AM

there is an error
"the drivers for this device are not installed" code 28
i am confused as to what we can do to fix this
tyvm
Anj

#6 drksky2103

drksky2103
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:28 PM

we did a search on how to fix this error and everything i can find is telling me i would have to download items in order to fix the problem. Does this sound correct?
Anj

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:34 PM

Can you post a link whereby you believe your situation is referenced? That way, we can all see what is described...and what the suggestions might be.

FWIW: If the system is put together sold by an OEM (Dell, HP, etc.), then the first place to look for documetation on specific error messages...should be the website/support documentation of said OEM.

Louis

System manufacturer and model?

Edited by hamluis, 09 January 2011 - 01:36 PM.

#8 drksky2103

drksky2103
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:26 PM

The machine is an HP how would i find out the model? i just did a google search for "ethernet error 28" and came up with that solution i mentioned.
http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f19/solved-ethernet-controller-error-code-28-a-362404.html
Anj

#9 Yoshistr

Yoshistr

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:35 PM

This is a simple fix, let me first explain how this works before going into the fix for future reference:

Hardware is connected physically to the motherboard which in turn is connected to the hard drive which has the necessary software to command said hardware.

In this case the hardware is the ethernet port on the motherboard and the software is the drivers
necessary for the operating system to recognize how to operate the ethernet port.

First off we need to find out what the hardware is specifically (model of the ethernet adapter).

Click Start->Run Type in
devmgmt.msc
Hit ENTER key

This will open up the device manager, in here look for icons that are yellow with question marks, this indicates hardware that is connected to the motherboard without necessary software (drivers) or corrupt drivers.

You should see under network adapters the ethernet adapter hardware, right click this and select properties.
Now you should be able to click on the Drivers tab to see if any drivers are installed. If there are you need to click on uninstall to remove them.

You can now search for the correct drivers using the model number for the ethernet adapter in google or at the
manufacturer website and then install it. Reboot your computer and it should be now working properly.
Yoshistr Support Team

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:37 PM

In order to get the correct drivers...we must know the model. Drivers are specific to each system model which HP might manufacture/sell each year.

Try this...Start/Run...type msinfo32 and hit Enter.

The 5th and 6th lines down should reflect System Manufacturer and System Model data.

Louis

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:26 PM

there is an error
"the drivers for this device are not installed" code 28

It refers to what device?

Usually, when internet doesn't want to work after fresh install, it's caused by missing chipset driver.

Edited by Broni, 09 January 2011 - 04:24 PM.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#12 drksky2103

drksky2103
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:27 PM

ok i did the uninstall of the ethernet driver but i am still unable to load up internet explorer. is there another step i need to do so that i can get online to download the proper drivers. also the model number for the computer is HP dx2000MT (PX836AA)

thank you for helping wade/andrea
Anj

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:50 PM

To download ALL correct drivers...for your system...in the future, please use this page: http://www.hp.com/#Support.

If you removed the networking drivers...and have not reinstalled them...your network connectivity will not work properly.

Reference, http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11851_na/11851_na.HTML .

Louis

#14 drksky2103

drksky2103
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 04:10 PM

thank you for the info my main problem is that even with the generic drivers xp has i am unable to access the internet would i be able to connect a laptop to a local area network using my desktop and try to do the download that way
Anj

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 04:13 PM

Drivers can be downloaded on a totally different system, then burned to CD...and then either copied to the hard drive or installed from the CD. i prefer to copy them to hard drive and install from desktop.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users