Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Have I Done Now?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sudsy

sudsy

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:05 PM

I tried to disable the "password Prompt" on my recently recovered notebook. I did a search and found a link that instructed me to go start>run> and enter "controlpassword2" and uncheck "require password for all users". I was asked to set up a password and left that blank and closed that prompt. Now I am asked for a password and cannot get the computer to start. I can't even start "safe mode"
UFO pilot

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 denako

denako

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:19 PM

Wait so your saying that at your windows welcome screen, theirs a password required to login ?
http://randomforumtitle.com - Unofficial Deadmau5 Forums

#3 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:47 PM

Yes but I didn't set one up. I have tried "admin" and "password" with no success.
UFO pilot

#4 denako

denako

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 07:07 PM

Yes but I didn't set one up. I have tried "admin" and "password" with no success.

Do you have a Windows Password Reset Disk at hand? If so, do the following with it.

Restart the computer.
On the Windows XP logon screen, click the user name that you want to use, and then press ENTER.

Note You receive the following error message:

Did you forget your password? You can click the "?" button to see your password hint. Or you can use your password reset disk. Please type your password again. Be sure to use the correct uppercase and lowercase letters.

Click Use your password reset disk. The Password Reset Wizard starts. The Password Reset Wizard enables you to create a new password for your user account.
In the Password Reset Wizard dialog box, click Next.
Insert the password reset disc into the CD drive, and then click Next.
Type a new password in the Type a new password box, and then type the password again in the Type the password again to confirm box.
In the Type a new password hint box, type a hint for the password, and then click Next.
Click Finish, and then try to log on to Windows XP again.

#5 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 07:20 PM

I have never heard of such a thing as a Windows Password Reset Disk. Can I create one on another machine?
UFO pilot

#6 denako

denako

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 07:23 PM

Yes, but I'm not 100% sure if it will work if it comes from another computer. Sorry, I can't help you any further than this, so before making one on another computer, hopefully someone who knows fully can help answer the rest of your problem. Again sorry that I can't help you any further. :/

#7 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 07:56 PM

OK, I got it! I some how created a new User Account and it had a password that I often use set. I have no idea how this happened. Can this in itself be an indication of a problem? This machine has been acting very strange today.

I am running:

AVG free
Malwarebytes
SuperAntiSpyware

XP Pro.

I notice when I am browsing with Firefox that I have "hang ups" and the screen jumps up and down like there is a Pop-up Blocker toolbar coming and going too fast for me to see.
Any quick tips for deleting a new account that has Admin Priv. ?

The original account with Admin Priv is still there also.
UFO pilot

#8 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:28 PM

Your original account was most likely named "administrator" (which is the default account unless a name is specified during original setup.
When you made the other account, this automatically hides the administrator account on the welcome screen. This is by design.
If you have XP Pro, when you get to the welcome screen, hit ctrl alt delete two times, and that will bring up a logon screen.
Here you can type in administrator and your password (if any) and you will go back to your old account.
If this is where you want to be, then go to control panel/user accts, and delete the new ID.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#9 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:01 PM

Thanks all;

I'm back to where I was before I started "fooling"with it!

We can close this!

S
UFO pilot

#10 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:04 PM

I think this might be helpful for what you were initially trying to do, if you are still game.

LINK

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#11 sudsy

sudsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:25 PM

I ran it, we shall see. Rebooting!
UFO pilot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users