Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen w/ cursor on start-up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Murrr

Murrr

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:16 PM

Hello.

First of all, apologies for bothering you with such a seemingly common problem, but I'm having a nightmare with this and need some help.

I'm using Vista (I don't recall which exact version, sorry) but today I just can't get my computer to start. I get to a pure black screen with a single white cursor in the middle. Research tells me that this is quite a common problem, but none of the suggested solutions have worked for me. I have tried the following:-

1) Removing USB devices.
2) Running system restore. I successfully restored the system and got into Windows proper, but all processes/programs crashed as soon as I'd started them, rendering it useless. I restrated and boom, straight back to the black screen.
3) Running system restore in Safe Mode. Same results.
4) Running explorer from the task manager. Didn't work, as the explorer process crashed immediately.

I've been having a few problems with various processes crashing on start-up over the past couple of weeks, so I wonder if these problems are related.

Any help on this matter would be much appreciated. I guess an easy solution would be to completely reinstall Windows, but that isn't really an option as I lack an installation CD. I'd be very grateful for your help!

Edited by Murrr, 08 January 2011 - 04:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scorpia13

scorpia13

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:13 PM

I have the exact same problem and always wonder what that is. Had my computer for about 3 years, and never had the problem until couple of weeks ago.
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

#3 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,829 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 11 January 2011 - 02:51 AM

Did you attempt a Startup Repair?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users