Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What are the minimal requirments for...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Zinus

Zinus

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:27 PM

Graphics design, Photo editing, and CAD modeling? I'm going to collage soon and I plan to major in similar fields, need to know what I should be looking for.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:17 PM

Tends to depend on the programs used, I would say.

I don't know anything at all about CAD...but graphics and video editing have been done on computers for years now, with the primary requirements being sufficient hard drive space and (IMO) maximum RAM (up to 4GB) supported by the system used.

If you know what programs might be used...I'd just look at the minimims stated by a few...and mentally increase that by a bit (since those are minimum standards just to have the software work properly).

You can also visit forums for applicable/prospective applications involved...and see first-hand what the experiences, problems, etc. of users might be.

Louis

#3 Nanobyte

Nanobyte

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:29 PM

The first two you can do with next to no resources. More helps. Photo editing needs nothing special. Very large images need more resources as do large numbers of layers. Graphic design may involve more layers/objects but if you are dealing with vector graphics, not a biggie. If you are converting bitmaps into vector, they may need more resources. I still do the vast majority of my image editing with Photopaint 7 from the early 1990s (starts in a couple of seconds). I only use the current apps for working with later formats and filters. Any current PC will do. More important is having deep pockets for the software. I saw one site that sells unsupported graphic packages for a fraction of the price, apparently legally?

Although not asked for, I do all my video editing on a single processor PC with 512 meg of RAM. Can't really work with HD because I only have onboard graphics on that PC. Low resources just take longer.

CAD is very dependent on what program. There are CAD programs that use little resources. My old app ran on Win95. If you are going to the full-blown commercial systems, Hamlius' comment re: researching apply.

If you get into 3-D graphics like Blender or what was Bryce, lots of gees gees under the hood essential.

#4 bigalexe

bigalexe

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:37 PM

Photo editing and CAD Modeling are not remotely similar. I am a Drafter/Machinist and in school for Mechanical Engineering.

Photo editing I have done rarely like throwing some text onto photos and the front runners in the free world are GIMP, and Paint.NET. Personally I prefer Paint.NET because the interface is very familiar to the Windows user.

For 3D Modeling there is a free program called Blender which works well for ART and only ART. If you want to get into traditional CAD such as AutoCAD or more modern parametric software such as Solidworks then the answer is that there is no free software and with no training you need to take a class to use the programs well. Also keep in mind CAD is designed for engineering and not drawing pretty pictures, they are designed with engineering standards and concepts in mind.
AMD Phenom II X6 2.8ghz
8GB DDR3 RAM
XFX ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB DDR5, 26" Widescreen HDMI
500GB + 80GB HDD
Windows 7 Pro, Mozilla Firefox, AutoCAD 2011, Solidworks 2009
1/19/2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users