Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Windows Easy Transfer" From WinXP to Win7 ...Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 maddog20

maddog20

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:39 AM

Even though I understand it is best to do all full clean windows install in any situation I would like some guidance in following problem.

I had an older laptop with Windows XP on it. I ran the "Windows Easy Transfer" on the XP machine and backed up all the files and settings on that machine to a USB external hard drive. It showed complete and I went in and verified it created 5-6 DAT files that were 2 gigs in size. I knew it had did something and backed up the files.

I then formatted the XP machine, installed 2 GB RAM and got it ready for Win 7.

I installed Windows 7 no problem. Ran the Windows Easy Transfer. It then ask me is this the old or new machine. I choose new machine and it ask me where are the files on the external drive. When I go to that folder it created it is looking for a certain single file that is not there.

Windows XP created IMG00001.DAT IMG00002.DAT and so on and that is it. It is not looking for DAt files though. Apparently it is looking for a different wizard file that was not created or is not there because when I go to explorer and choose that drive all I see in the folder are DAT files and nothing else.

So now I have this new machine up and running and would like to figure out how to get these DAT files into the Windows 7 laptop machine.

Can someone be of guidance?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:21 AM

Have you tried to browse to the location of the DAT file,and change the file type from Windows Easy Transfer (*.MIG) to (*.DAT) ?

#3 maddog20

maddog20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:16 PM

Thanks for the reply ice. No. What I have is DAT files. What you are saying is to try to change to MIG files?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users