Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP hangs on startup

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 thepadster

thepadster

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 08 January 2011 - 07:37 AM

Hi there, I have a problem with my desktop pc operating Windows XP Home edition

When I switch on it gets to the black page with windows logo, with the rectangular box below where 3 blue squares scroll left to right whilst booting, the squares then freeze and the system hangs.

This happened in the past and I was lazy and just reverted to using the laptop more, over xmas I had time on my hands and decided to boot it up, it worked fine for prob a week, during which time I deleted a fair amount of useless data to free up memory, and ran a defrag, then yesterday I tried to boot it up after I had a laptop problem :( and it wouldnt fire

** edit, forgot to add I can get into it in safe mode no problems

Edited by thepadster, 08 January 2011 - 11:20 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:52 PM

Hi thepadster -
Please start in safe mode 'with networking' - Download and install Malwarebytes Antimalware, update it and run a quick scan only first -
Also ensure your Antivirus is fully updated (still in safe mode 'with networking') and then run a scan with that program -
See if there is any change after these operations -

Thank You -

#3 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:22 PM

Try this ...
Start your system in Windows Safe Mode.
Use the Windows Error checking utility (Check Disk), with the options to scan the disk surface for errors, and attempt recovery of data and repair the disk.
  • Open "My Computer"
  • Right-click on the drive that you wish to check > Properties > Tools > and in the "Error checking" section, click on "Check now".
  • Place a tick in both boxes > Start.
  • If the disk you have chosen is the system disk:
    • A message will notify you that a restart is necessary: Click OK, and close all windows.
    • Re-start the computer. The disk will be checked when the system boots.
      This test will take some time to run and at times may appear stalled but just let it run.
    • When the disk check is complete, the system will re-start automatically and load Windows.
  • If any errors were found, it may be prudent to repeat Check Disk.

Does Windows start normally now?

A log of the disk check is recorded (only if the scheduled re-start is used).
To open Event Viewer and view the log:
  • Go to Start > Run > and type eventvwr and press the <ENTER> key.
  • In the left pane, click on Application.
  • In the right pane, at the top, click on the column heading Source to sort the list alphabetically.
  • Look in the Source column for "Winlogon", with an entry corresponding to the date and time of the disk check.
  • Double-click on that entry to view the log.
  • Click on the "copy" button to copy the log to the clipboard.
  • Paste the log text into your next reply.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#4 thepadster

thepadster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:21 AM

*sigh* no sooner do I read your reply and go back to follow the instructions only to find I know cannot get in via safemode now :(

It now just loops round and round

Edited by thepadster, 09 January 2011 - 08:44 AM.

#5 thepadster

thepadster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:16 PM

still need some help here please !

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:45 PM

My apologies for overlooking your reply: Thanks for the reminder.

Please disconnect anything and everything that may be connected to the computer, but not essential to run it (so only leave the mouse/keyboard & monitor)

We need some fresh details of exactly what is happening when you attempt to start the computer normally. Watching the video, I see that the computer crashes (system failure/BSODs), and then re-starts when attempting Safe Mode (or options thereof), but does it do the same thing when attempting to start normally? Please provide as much detail as possible.

Instead of choosing Safe Mode, try choosing "Disable automatic restart ... " and let me know what happens, and if you see a BSOD (blue screen of death) with error message, please report the message detail.

Instead of choosing Safe Mode, try choosing "Last known good configuration ... " and see what happens. Try this a number of times.

Was there any history or signs of malware being present on the system when this problem occurred?

Please provide as much detail about the computer as you can:
  • Make & Model ... if a brand-name machine? Age?
  • otherwise Motherboard make and model?
  • Expansion cards for video, sound etc?
  • Are graphics available on the motherboard?
  • Mouse/keyboard are PS2 or USB connected?
  • service pack level for XP ... SP2 or SP3?
Do you have the installation CD for XP Home? What service pack level is on the CD?
  • Do you have the installation disk for any other Windows OS handy that we can use?
    (I ask the above in view of wanting to run the Recovery Console (or Recovery Environment) from the disk, rather than wanting to re-install the OS.)
If you don't have one, can you borrow one?
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:33 PM

Hi -
If you are not sure of any defails requested, please download Speccy and it will read all details from your system -
This is good, free and a handy tool to keep -

Thank You -

#8 thepadster

thepadster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:42 AM

Apologies for taking so long to get a reply up, I have been away from home.

Please provide as much detail about the computer as you can:

* Make & Model ... if a brand-name machine? Age?
* otherwise Motherboard make and model?
* Expansion cards for video, sound etc?
* Are graphics available on the motherboard?
* Mouse/keyboard are PS2 or USB connected?
* service pack level for XP ... SP2 or SP3?

ref the above, the computer was made to order, I bought it 2nd hand from a friend about 3 years ago who had it built as a gaming machine then upgraded.

Not sure of motherboard etc, as it was a gaming machine I assume has decent video card, it has 2 video outputs which i run dual monitors of, these have the digital connection type. There is a standard pin monitor slot, altho i dont have a monitor lead to connect to that here at the moment.

I have wireless mouse and keyboard. the wireless conector is split on the end, usb for mouse and ps2 for keyboard (no idea why!). so the mouse has adaptor to convert usb to ps2

Not sure of service pack. Only other attachment was wireless dongle to enable me to connect to internet

did another you tube video, there is a blue screen that flashes up v quickly. I have screenshot it below

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Forgot to add that I have no disks for the machine. My brother does have a windows xp pro disk he said I could have tho.

Edited by thepadster, 26 January 2011 - 01:12 PM.

#9 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:48 PM

My brother does have a windows xp pro disk he said I could have tho.

Good: That will come in handy.

This will usually fix a STOP 0x24 error.
Start the Recovery Console using a Windows XP installation CD (or an XP Recovery Console CD).
  • Insert the CD in the computer's optical disk drive tray.
  • Start or re-start the computer so that it boots from the CD. You may be prompted to "Press any key". (If the system does not appear to be booting from the CD, you may need to enter the BIOS Setup Menu and change the boot order, so that the CD-ROM/optical disk drive is set to boot before the hard disk drive.)
  • When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press the R key on your keyboard to start the Recovery Console.
  • The Recovery Console will ask which Windows installation you would like to log on to.
    If you have multiple Windows installations, it will list each one, and you would type the number (that is 1, 2, or 3 etc) associated with the installation you would like to work on (usually C:\Windows) and press the <ENTER> key.
    Please advise if you are not seeing C:\Windows listed (and you think that you should).
    If you have just one Windows installation showing, type 1 and press <ENTER>.
  • You will be prompted for the Administrator's password. If there is no password, (and this is most likely), simply press <ENTER>.
  • You will be presented with a C:\Windows> prompt.
    Please advise if you are not seeing a C:\WINDOWS> prompt (and you think that you should).
At the C:\Windows> prompt, type chkdsk /r and press <ENTER> (Note: There is a space between "chkdsk" and "/r")
  • This will take some time to run and at times may appear stalled but just let it run.
  • If any errors are found/repairs made, run chkdsk /r again, and repeat if necessary.
Type "exit" at the prompt and press <ENTER> to close the Recovery Console and restart your system.

Does Windows start normally now?
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#10 thepadster

thepadster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:01 PM

How do I get it to try to boot from the cd ?

I have inserted the disk, been into bios and changed it but it does the same loop as on video ?

#11 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:14 PM

Please tell us about the CD that you are trying to boot from:
  • Is it a factory-made genuine retail Microsoft XP installation CD?
  • Other? Please give us the details.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#12 thepadster

thepadster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:31 PM

Please tell us about the CD that you are trying to boot from:

• Is it a factory-made genuine retail Microsoft XP installation CD?
  • Other? Please give us the details.

"other" a copy a friend did for my brother when he had some problems, he used it and got his machine running again no problems.

I have got into the bios but not sure if I have changed correct parts ? found part where it said primary boot source, scrolled thru options and selected a drive (the machine has 2, tried both) Im guessing if it had accepted it should be booting from a drive it would pause and ask for disk to be inserted ?

Instead it is just looping as stated before

#13 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:24 PM

I have got into the bios but not sure if I have changed correct parts ? found part where it said primary boot source, scrolled thru options and selected a drive (the machine has 2, tried both) Im guessing if it had accepted it should be booting from a drive it would pause and ask for disk to be inserted ?

There are a couple of different ways the various BIOS makers use to enable you to set the boot order (which may also be called the boot sequence).

One way is to give you the ability to set a device for each of:
  • First boot device [list to choose from]
  • Second boot device [list to choose from]
  • Third boot device [list to choose from]
In this situation you would go to "First boot device" and in the list provided select CD-ROM.
The list might then look something like:
  • Floppy
  • CD-ROM
    HDD
    USB HDD

Another way is to provide a list of devices, probably under the title of Boot Order or Boot Sequence, and enable you to arrange the list so that the order of boot choice is determined from the top, down. In that case you would move the CD-ROM to the top of the list. The list might then look like:
  • CD-ROM
  • USB HDD
  • HDD
  • Floppy
After making changes in the Setup Menu, you then need to Save the changes and Exit (usually pressing F10 > ENTER does this), to re-start the system. The computer should then boot from the CD if there is a bootable disk in the CD-ROM drive.

If you are still having trouble, then we should try to identify the motherboard. If you were to take the side off the box and have a close look at the motherboard, and give me the model code whereby I could identify it, I would be able to find more precise instructions for you to use in the BIOS Setup Menu.

(I am going to assume for the moment that the CD is OK, and that your machine is able to read the CD.)

Edit
You said: "it would pause and ask for disk to be inserted ?"
No: You must have the CD inserted in the drive when BIOS looks for devices to boot from. You will not be asked to insert a CD.

Edited by AustrAlien, 28 January 2011 - 12:19 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users