Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't turn on Windows Firewall

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#1 Lorrretta

Lorrretta

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:52 AM

Hi all,

I have problems connecting to internet. Windows firewall cannot be turned on. When I tried to turn on firewall, I prompted to use recommended settings but it says " Windows Firewall can't change of your settings. Error code 0x8007042c".

I went to services.msc

Application Layer Gateway Service
Startup type: Manual
Service status: Started

Based on the list of dependencies found under Windows Firewall Properties:

Base Filtering Engine Properties
Startup type: Automatic
Service status: Stopped
I encountered an error while trying to start this.
"Windows could not start the Base Filtering Engine Service on Local Computer. Error 5: Access is denied."

Remote Procedure Call
DCOM Server Process Launcher
RPC Endpoint Mapper
These 3 are already started.

Windows Firewall Authorization Driver cannot be found under the list in services.msc

Windows Firewall Properties
"Windows could not start the Windows Firewall service on Local Computer.
Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start."

I tried to look for the file "c:\windows\system32\drivers\mdsdrv.sys"
only to know that it is missing.

Anyone with similar experience or knows how to solve this kindly help :)
Thank you :)

Feel free to request any information that you need.
Btw, I am currently using Windows 7.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 odin88

odin88

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:37 AM

Hi,
Try this.....
http://www.restoreguard.com/p/0x-0x8007042c.html?keyword=0x8007042c&gclid=CMK3v_b3qqYCFY4f4QodKBljaQ

Iain.
our attitude toward life determins lifes attitude towards us.

#3 Lorrretta

Lorrretta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:33 AM

Hey Thanks for replying :)

I downloaded and scanned. At the end of the scan, it required me to pay USD19.97
to solve the problem.

Do you know of any methods that does not require any fee?

#4 Lorrretta

Lorrretta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:27 AM

Additional information:

I have scanned using MBAM in safe mode and 0 threats was detected.

I am unable to install any other AVs and firewalls (tried MSE and McAfee)

Thanks to all who took time to read and all who tried to offer a solution as well :)

#5 odin88

odin88

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:59 PM

Additional information:

I have scanned using MBAM in safe mode and 0 threats was detected.

I am unable to install any other AVs and firewalls (tried MSE and McAfee)

Thanks to all who took time to read and all who tried to offer a solution as well :)

Hi sorry about that not been a free program.... i have done a bit researching of this error and came across this....

Error code 0x8007042c is an error for "The dependency service or group failed to start".
This will indicate that there may not be a problem with the Windows Firewall Service (MpsSvc) but instead with other Services that it needs so that it can start itself.

So here are the necessary Services that Windows Firewall needs on Windows 7:
1. Base Filtering Engine (BFE)
2. Windows Firewall Authorization Driver (MPSDRV)

The two services/drivers should be started or running. BFE can be easily seen through the Services Console. But MPSDRV is not visually available in the same console window and instead available only by querying the service in a Command Prompt window.
Repairing services and drivers can be done via the command line of SFC /SCANNOW on an Elevated Command Prompt.
If the command did not fix the issue then reinstalling the drivers might be the best way to do it.
Although to accomplish this will not be an easy feat since both the Base Filtering Engine and Windows Firewall Authorization Driver could not be reinstalled on Windows 7 unless we repair install the Operating System.

Try running the following commands if SFC /SCANNOW did not resolve the issue with the Windows Firewall:
1. Open a Command Prompt as Administrator. To do this, type CMD in Start Search from the Start Menu. Right click on the result and choose "Run as Administrator".
2. Run now the following command lines:
a. netsh advfirewall reset
b. net start mpsdrv
c. net start bfe
d. net start mpssvc
e. regsvr32 firewallapi.dll
3. Confirm any boxes that comes up by clicking OK. The result on the last entry should say that it succeeded.
Note: If you receive any errors on any of the command lines, then there is definitely something wrong with any of the drivers and service.
This may indicate a Registry error or a Corrupted file.
4. Reboot the system.

Another factor to consider is Malware infection. There are known strains of Malware infections that may stop or corrupt the entries and executable files of Windows Firewall along with other services and drivers it depends on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
you could also just try this..... Start> type> services> scroll down find windows firewall right click> Properties click Startup type drop down manu click on the Automatic Apply ok.
This seems to solve a lot of other peoples firewall issues and it seems to be a common issue to those who have just up-graded from xp and vista. I will keep looking to try and get a fix for this :thumbup2:
Iain.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:39 PM

Check for the service for Windows Firewall Service if it is started or not.

1. Click on Start

2. In the start Search box type Services

3. Right Click on - RUN AS ADMIN

Check if the below mentioned services has the mentioned status and start up type.

windows firewall Started Automatic\Manual.

base filtering engine Started Automatic\Manual.

windows firewall autorization driver Started Automatic\Manual.

Also check the dependency services that are required for Windows Firewall Service to run.

To check that double click on the service and click on the dependency tab.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Lorrretta

Lorrretta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 04:51 AM

Hi sorry about that not been a free program.... i have done a bit researching of this error and came across this....

Error code 0x8007042c is an error for "The dependency service or group failed to start".
This will indicate that there may not be a problem with the Windows Firewall Service (MpsSvc) but instead with other Services that it needs so that it can start itself.

So here are the necessary Services that Windows Firewall needs on Windows 7:
1. Base Filtering Engine (BFE)
2. Windows Firewall Authorization Driver (MPSDRV)

The two services/drivers should be started or running. BFE can be easily seen through the Services Console. But MPSDRV is not visually available in the same console window and instead available only by querying the service in a Command Prompt window.
Repairing services and drivers can be done via the command line of SFC /SCANNOW on an Elevated Command Prompt.
If the command did not fix the issue then reinstalling the drivers might be the best way to do it.
Although to accomplish this will not be an easy feat since both the Base Filtering Engine and Windows Firewall Authorization Driver could not be reinstalled on Windows 7 unless we repair install the Operating System.

Try running the following commands if SFC /SCANNOW did not resolve the issue with the Windows Firewall:
1. Open a Command Prompt as Administrator. To do this, type CMD in Start Search from the Start Menu. Right click on the result and choose "Run as Administrator".
2. Run now the following command lines:
a. netsh advfirewall reset
b. net start mpsdrv
c. net start bfe
d. net start mpssvc
e. regsvr32 firewallapi.dll
3. Confirm any boxes that comes up by clicking OK. The result on the last entry should say that it succeeded.
Note: If you receive any errors on any of the command lines, then there is definitely something wrong with any of the drivers and service.
This may indicate a Registry error or a Corrupted file.
4. Reboot the system.

Another factor to consider is Malware infection. There are known strains of Malware infections that may stop or corrupt the entries and executable files of Windows Firewall along with other services and drivers it depends on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
you could also just try this..... Start> type> services> scroll down find windows firewall right click> Properties click Startup type drop down manu click on the Automatic Apply ok.
This seems to solve a lot of other peoples firewall issues and it seems to be a common issue to those who have just up-graded from xp and vista. I will keep looking to try and get a fix for this :thumbup2:
Iain.

I came across this as well.
"SFC /SCANNOW" did not detect any issues while access is denied when i proceed with the other method :(

#8 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:21 AM

What Anti-virus are you running? Norton/Symantec, McAfee, or?

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#9 Lorrretta

Lorrretta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:05 AM

I used to have McAfee, but uninstalled thinking that it conflicted with the firewall. After which I have problems reinstalling McAfee and MSE. I have not tried installing other AV, I assume that it will give me the same outcome.

My laptop does not have any AV or firewall installed currently.

I did scan the laptop using MBAM in safe mode, it didn't detect any threat. So it should be safe right?

Edited by Lorrretta, 12 January 2011 - 11:06 AM.

#10 odin88

odin88

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:21 PM

Hi, again sorry that that solution has not worked.... please try this... download and run this program ... http://majorgeeks.com/AV_Uninstaller_d4601.html .. it should remove any trace of the former AV's that have been installed on your machine. Then try and load this AV on your machine... http://majorgeeks.com/Comodo_AntiVirus_d5109.html ... it is a very good AV program plus it is FREE you should also download their firewall FREE also... http://majorgeeks.com/Comodo_Personal_Firewall_d5033.html ... I hope this is a suitable solution for you.
Iain.

#11 FIDELIS_IT

FIDELIS_IT

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:24 AM

These steps helped me a while back when I encounter this problem

Control Panel>>>Systems/Security>>>Administrative Tools>>>Windows Firewall>>>double click Windows Firewall>>>click Log On Tab>>>
Browse for LOCAL SERVICE user >>Leave password blank>>Apply changes

Hope that helps.
CARPE DIEM

#12 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:01 AM

I used to have McAfee, but uninstalled thinking that it conflicted with the firewall

McAfee would have over-ridden Windows firewall with it's own. That is why you couldn't turn Windows firewall on.

If you didn't uninstall "all" McAfee (scattered data)using the uninstall tool, it would suggest to me that Windows firewall is being blocked from turning on.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#13 Lorrretta

Lorrretta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:07 PM

Hi, again sorry that that solution has not worked.... please try this... download and run this program ... http://majorgeeks.com/AV_Uninstaller_d4601.html .. it should remove any trace of the former AV's that have been installed on your machine. Then try and load this AV on your machine... http://majorgeeks.com/Comodo_AntiVirus_d5109.html ... it is a very good AV program plus it is FREE you should also download their firewall FREE also... http://majorgeeks.com/Comodo_Personal_Firewall_d5033.html ... I hope this is a suitable solution for you.
Iain.

Hey Iain, there's no need to apologise :) I am really grateful that you went to do some researching just to help me resolve this problem :)
By the way, I can't seem to install Comodo, just like MSE and McAfee(re-install).

These steps helped me a while back when I encounter this problem

Control Panel>>>Systems/Security>>>Administrative Tools>>>Windows Firewall>>>double click Windows Firewall>>>click Log On Tab>>>
Browse for LOCAL SERVICE user >>Leave password blank>>Apply changes

Hope that helps.

I saw this somewhere else too. It didn't work on my laptop either :(

Thanks to all others who gave suggestions:)

#14 odin88

odin88

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:55 PM

Hi Lorretta, I am realy stumped with this issue now :scratchhead: !!! do you own a copy of your OS on cd ?? or does your machine have a recovery partition ??? I ask this as (IMO) I honestly think that the only solution now is to back-up all your files and either do a repair/fresh install of your OS. I have asked a lot of IT friends and they have said that if the solutions that I have given you and you have followed them to the letter (i dont doubt that you haven't!!)and tried what the advice given and still have the issue, then they say it is either virus/malware infection or corrupt file/registery issue. You may want to go down the route of the malware/virus removal solutions and getting help there, BUT, if it was my having this issue and had tried all of the solutions then i wouldn't waste any more time on it and would go for a repair/fresh install of my OS, This is just my oppinion, hopefully some one will but in and maybe's have a solution for your issue!!!
Iain.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:30 PM

Lorretta, you should pay attention to what Jacee is telling you.

McAfee would have over-ridden Windows firewall with it's own. That is why you couldn't turn Windows firewall on.

I definitely wouldn't consider a fresh installation at this point.

There are too many cooks in this kitchen.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users