Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

router problems with new pc

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cmac24

cmac24

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:38 PM

Im switching to a (relatively) new computer and I'm having difficulty with the router. The router works fine with the old PC but when I try hooking it up to the new PC it doesn't work at all. Here is what I did:
I took the router cable from the old PC and plugged it into the new one. I opened up internet explorer and typed in the address: http://192.168.0.1/ but all I get is a page not found message. I'm sure I'm missing something simple. Do I need to reset the router? Here are some of the details:

Router: D-Link 624
Old PC = HP Pavillion A450n
New PC: Dell Inspiron 530

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Both PCs are running windows xp. I tried following the original instructions to install the router - unplugging the router and modem, rebooting etc. but that didn't work. When I connected the router to the new pc, the wireless network still worked (could access the internet through the network with a laptop).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:09 AM

First thing I would do is double check the IP you are trying to use to access the router using the laptop that connects. open a command window and type ipconfig /all. Note the default gateway address that is the router address. If it is different that the one you posted then try using it.

Second check the new computer in the device manager to be sure the adapter is present and there are no exclamation points present. Also go to the adapters TCP\IP policies to be sure that it is set to get an IP address automatically.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users