Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound Not Working Right

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cien750hp

cien750hp

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 09 December 2005 - 06:45 PM

hi. im having issues with my the sound on my computer. at first i thought it was the speakers and one had just stopped working but then i was trying to listen on my headphones and its the same. my left speaker will not play, only the right one will. But in the volume control nothing will play if the speakers arent completly faded to the left. but it plays from the right only. i just dont get it. im hoping someone will be able to help me out! thanks!
-Tyler

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 09 December 2005 - 06:58 PM

I don't generally mess with sound issues - but this sounds like something has stolen your stereo. Check all your settings to make sure that stereo is enabled, check to make sure that the plug is fully seated in it's jack, and that the cables are intact.

The times that this has happened to me, it was because I hadn't pushed the jack into the card all the way. I had to physically look at it to figure it out!

Edited by usasma, 09 December 2005 - 06:59 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 cien750hp

cien750hp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2005 - 12:18 AM

Ive checked everything and unplugged and replugged back in and went through all the controls and ran the diognostics test and couldnt find anything. anyone have any more suggestions? thanks!

#4 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 10 December 2005 - 12:50 AM

Dear cien,

Sound issues are sometimes difficult but fixable.

Could you give me the specs of your computer and if you downloaded anything recently?

Also, how old is the computer and have you cleaned it lately?

This could be just a pin that came off the mother board or corrosion.

Let us know,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#5 cien750hp

cien750hp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2005 - 03:43 AM

Hi, my computer is a Dell 9100 that i just got i think in september. Its 3 ghz and 1 gb memory, and a Soundblaster live 24-bit card. I dont think i have downloaded anything that should affect the sound or anything. Also, my computer is clean.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 10 December 2005 - 08:57 AM

Have you checked the Dell site for patches. If nothing else try deleting and reinstall the drivers. Have you called Dell? Sometimes there are known issues that are not caught before leaving the warehouse. If you bought it in september it's thier dime. Give'em a call.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 Ask me anything

Ask me anything

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 10 December 2005 - 11:32 AM

try looking for updated drivers and if that dont work you may have to open your CPU and make sure that the card is seated in the slot and if it is on bord just try to update the drivers

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 11 December 2005 - 10:07 AM

Almost all Dell sound cards are built in. What model do you have I will see if I can find you something. To be honest you could put a new and better card in for about $20.
Have you entered the BIOS to see if the onboard sound is enabled?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#9 cien750hp

cien750hp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 02:39 PM

I have not tried calling dell yet, too busy, but i will do that soon. I tried looking on dell.com but couldnt find anything along the lines of what i wanted. The model is the Diminsion 9100. The sound cards in the right place and everything too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users