Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Screwing Up!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 09 December 2005 - 06:23 PM

I don't know what is going on. My computer has been disabling programs, like Spybot and Zonealarm; the only way to get them working again is to reinstall them. Adware se cannot complete scans anymore; it will lock up. My computer will freeze up fo no reason. And now, I cannot get online. I usually use the Westell network router hocked up to my parent's computer to get online (we have dsl); but my computer, while recognizing that the ethernet cable is hooked up, cannot access the interent at all. I am having to type this on my parents computer. I can't install microsoft updates, or update zonealarm and other programs, because I can't get online. And I can't use the boot cd because my cd rom drive still doesn't work.

Help, please! I don't know what to do. I tried submitting a Hijack log to the appropriate forum, but no one has responded. My log is here:

Hijack this log

Any suggestions? I plan on calling Besy Buy this weekend about the CD drive, so I will let you all know when it gets fixed. I am running on Windows XP home Sevice Pack 1, and have a Toshiba Sattelite A65 laptop. Please help!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2005 - 06:27 PM

It sounds like you're infected.

Just sit tight and wait for the HJT folks to get to you - they're very busy with a whole bunch of logs to work on.

If we try to fix this without getting rid of the spyware/viruses - the fix either won't work at all...or it'll work for a short bit and the problems will start right back again.

Plus, if you change anything, it'll make the job that much harder for the HJT folks to fix. All HJT does is point to settings that are commonly used to infect your browser - it doesn't tell you exactly what the caused the setting to change. So the HJT folks have to use their experience and skills to ferret the little buggers out!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 DarkRaika

DarkRaika

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 10 December 2005 - 12:54 PM

My advice.

Stop, sit down, take a few breaths. This can all be sorted out but make sure you don't continue trying to do things to fix it. If you could have sorted it out you would have already. This problem obviously sounds like its way over your head, it might even be over mine. I'd love to try to help out by going one to one with you but I think the HJT team could help you out more. Just be patient you are better off waiting for their help.

Just think that if you wait till they are ready and get their advice on how to solve it over all you will probably get this whole problem fixed much quicker than continuing to make attempts yourself.

31337 is a prime number .... 1337 is not .... go figure!

#4 rms4evr

rms4evr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 11:38 PM

This cannot be happening. I turned my laptop off this afternoon while waiting for a reply from the hijack this team, and now, when I tried to turn it back on, it will not boot up. After the Toshiba logo is displayed, the screen goes black and a gray progress bar appears, and stops halfway through the screen. When I try to boot in safe mode, it gets hung up and stops. I still have personal data on the HD. I NEED to get it off!! How do I get it to boot up? Help, please! How can I force a boot? Note that my cd drive does not work, and I don't have the XP instal CD. Please! I just need it long enought to get the data off of the computer.

Edited by rms4evr, 11 December 2005 - 11:52 PM.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 11:16 AM

How does your CD drive "not work"? Is this when you try and boot from it, or is it when you try to insert a CD in it?

You should be able to enter the system's BIOS and select the option to boot from CD. Once that's enabled, a bootable CD will enable you to get into the hard drive.

Then it becomes a matter of using either an NTFS reader program, a DOS based tool, or a "Live" Linux distribution to copy the files that you need to save. What I've done in the past is to hook up a USB hard drive when booting and transfer the files to be saved that way.

Then, unfortunately, you'll have to run the Toshiba recovery utility which will wipe your hard drive clean (meaning you'll have to reinstall anything that was installed since it left the factory).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 rms4evr

rms4evr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 08:00 PM

Thanks usasma, for the input. However, the cd drive will not read discs anymore. I don't know why. My mom took it to best buy today, and they will fix the cd drive and do a repair install of Windows XP. They will try to save the data, but it is not a sure thing. I will know for sure by the end of this week. Thanks, anyway.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2005 - 08:04 PM

Well, "Geek Squad" to the rescue! And, to think, they wouldn't hire me because I had no people skills! So what if I got the mentality of a Drill Sergeant! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users