Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard/memory/?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 luphold

luphold

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 19 May 2004 - 11:43 AM

I have a Compac 5000US computer and it has become very unreliable. Sometimes, when I turn it on nothing comes up. I changed the memory in the slot and it worked for about two weeks. The same thing happened and this time it did not recognize the hard drive. I checked the hard drive on two other computers. On one it would not reconize the HD, on the other it did and it said it had a virus. I formatted the hard drive and it worked, but because of formatting It would not accept the recovery disc from Compac. I installed Win. 98, It could not find the drivers for the onboard video, audio, or the modem. I installed XP and it worked fine. But... it only worked for a couole of days and it did the same thing. I tried changin the memory again and it worked for awhile. What could be the problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 19 May 2004 - 04:09 PM

You may want to check the health of your hard drive. A lot of hard drives thse days support something called SMART monitoring which can tell you if there is an imminent problem that is going to happen with your hard drive.

You can try this program to see if it see's anything that may be recorded in the SMART counters which may tell if you there is a problem with the hard drive.

HDD Health at http://www.panterasoft.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users