Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to create an XP boot disk...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TheBlueMeanie

TheBlueMeanie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:06 PM

I got a new processor for X-mas and need to update my computer's BIOS for it to work. I have a Foxconn AMD2 motherboard and am trying to put a AMD3 processor on it. To do this I apparently need to make a boot disk. Which leads me to my question...

I've read the tutotial, but unfortunately it doesn't cover how to make an XP boot disk without the XP CD. I have XP on my computer and have for years. However, we moved recently and for the life of me I can not find the XP CD now.

I've downloaded several files that are supposed to be included but I'm not sure exactly what files need to go onto a CD in order to make it bootable. The trail-by-fire CD's I've made obviously don't work, so I'm missing something or not doing something right. I've also read about how I'm supposed to copy the i386 folder, but when I search for it in my computer 12 or so come up. I'm not sure which one I'm supposed to copy.

I apparently need a dummies step-by-step guide on how to do this. Any help on updating my BIOS and/or making an XP boot disk is greatly appreciated.

PS: I'm likely leaving out vital information somewhere, so please feel free to ask anything I may have left out.

Edited by hamluis, 07 January 2011 - 06:59 PM.
Moved from XP forum to Internal Hardware ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:03 PM

Hi :).

First...what convinces you that you need to update your BIOS? Do you have the motherboard manual handy? What is the model of the board?

And...what processor do you have?

Second...if you have a AM2 socket board, you may not necessarily be able to use an AM3 CPU with it.

Soooo...I suggest that we spend a little time...making sure what steps you want to take and why.

I and others here are pretty familiar with AMD boards and processors and we won't misdirect you :).

Do you have compatible RAM?

Louis

Just for the record...updating a BIOS usually involves using a floppy disk or creating a bootable CD...not an XP boot disk.

#3 Hert

Hert

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:12 PM

full name of motherboard model?
АМ3 processor will not fully work on AM2 socket. Even after the update BIOS. :wink:

Edited by Hert, 07 January 2011 - 03:16 PM.

#4 TheBlueMeanie

TheBlueMeanie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:15 PM

Thanks for the quick replies! B)

Why I think I need to update my BIOS is for a couple of reasons... 1) my current BIOS is 10 years old (2001) and 2) when I install my new processor my computer doesn't POST anymore.

My motherboard is a Foxconn K8M890M2MA-RS2H. Foxconn MB

Everything I've read says a AMD2's are compatible with AMD3 processors; at least it fits in the socket and I'm able to fully install it. It sounds like there could other reasons for incompatibility though.

Also, everything I've read says I need to make a Boot Disk of my current OS, so I naturally think I need to make one. I'm wondering if there's a way to update my BIOS through the DOS without having to mess with the boot disk--or is that just wishful thinking?

EDIT: Forgot to provide the new processor: New processor

Edited by TheBlueMeanie, 07 January 2011 - 06:18 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:56 PM

I think you have a mismatch of components.

Some AM2+ boards...support AM3 processors, not all. This Link matches what I understand.

Listed BIOS Updates Available

If it were me (and I am looking at an AM3 processor/board purchase), I would want definitive statement from motherboard manufacturer. I don't see such from Foxconn, but I miss such detail often.

Manufacturer's Supported CPU List

Since this really seems to be a hardware situation...moreso than an XP situation...I will move this to the eyes of those with more knowledge/experience on such.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users