Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Various .NET versions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 symbi

symbi

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:00 PM

Windows Update frequently wants to add security patches for various .NET versions from 1.0 through 3.5. In the interest of optimization, I'd like to delete as many old versions of .NET as I can.

Thoughts on whether this is safe? And will it stop Windows Update from trying to add security patches for versions of software I'm no longer running? They probably don't hurt anything but I'd prefer to not even install things I don't need.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:47 PM

It's safe to delete any version of MS.NET that is installed.

NET Framework is not required on every system. In fact, it is needed only on systems which run a program which calls for/utilizes some version of NET, based on the way that the program was developed.

In the history of using XP, I have only encountered two such programs myself...and, in each instance, the particular MS.NET version required is spelled out as a prerequisite for installing the program.

I currently have two desktops. System A has NET Framework 3.5, SP1 installed...because I have nLite installed on that system and it requires Version 2.0 (Version 3.5 works in lieu of 2.0 for me), while System B has no version of MS.NET installed and works fine without it.

If you want to remove all versions, then install only one or none...I suggest using the NET Framework Cleanup Tool .

If NET is not installed on the system...there are no security updates to be installed for it. Just as there are security updates for the main body of XP, there are also critical security updates for key components (such as IE, WMP, NET Framework, etc.).

Louis

#3 symbi

symbi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:23 AM

Thanks Louis - I do have an app that requires .NET, I think it was 2.0 when I installed it and that has triggered all the patches for 1-current. Glad to know that I can safely uninstall all versions I don't need, and especially that Windows Update will stop bugging me about patching old, unneeded versions :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users