Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recent CPU slowing

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 moosentonks

moosentonks

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:13 PM

Hello,

Having some surprising slowing recently. I'm hoping I missed something obvious and trivial.

Running Windows 7 64, i3 (2.93 ghz), 4gb ram, GeForce 9600 GSO 512.

Built it last May. Ran like a dream until about a week and a half ago - noticed a low framerate on newly purchased games (steam sales). Went out of town, came back this week to find that my cpu usage skyrockets when trying to play games or open multiple tabs in Chrome. As in, it idles at 0-2% and jumps up to near 100%. Certain games are now nearly unplayable, even on lowest graphics settings (Left4Dead, Mirror's Edge) and other, significantly less graphic-intensive games (Chime) lag. Graphics drivers are up-to-date as of a few weeks ago.

Ran avast! and MBAM. Nothing. Defragged, cleaned registry, no change.

Looked for a system restore point, found nothing older than the problem.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 symbi

symbi

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:31 PM

Sure sounds like you've got some kind of malware. Can you identify anything unusual you did before it started acting odd, new websites, received email with attachments?

Maybe try some additional tools to check for problems too. I like the free editions of Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad Aware myself, and am actively looking for other new tools. I've recently started running into infections that some tools miss but others find, and am hoping to add other good tools to the ones I listed. Hope this helps!

#3 moosentonks

moosentonks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:40 PM

Thanks. Nothing comes to mind, but I'll give spybot and ad aware a shot. I appreciate the help!

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:52 PM

Try MalwareBytes AntiMalware. Its the tool of choice on this board and highly recommended. Make sure to update it and do the full scan. It could take considerable time to run so kill some time while its scanning. Its a very good tool.

I still use Spybot every once in a while but the program has become dated and is in need of a major overhaul.
I quit using Ad Aware years ago because of its overhead and low detection rates
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 moosentonks

moosentonks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:55 PM

Eyesee,

Thanks. As I said, I ran MBAM. Looking over my logs, it caught and killed a trojan earlier in the week, but more recent logs have come up clean. Hence my confusion. Who knows, maybe Spybot will pick something up.

Edit: And, as per your suggestion, I'll update MBAM and give it another shot.
Thanks!

Edited by moosentonks, 07 January 2011 - 01:59 PM.

#6 moosentonks

moosentonks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:17 PM

Nothing. Any other suggestions? Should I head over to the viruses/malware forum?

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,709 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:52 PM

G;day......I dont have a great deal of experience.....but i would fly to the malware section.....not walk !!
Brian
Outback Australia

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

#8 Booh-kitty

Booh-kitty

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:23 PM

This something I've found helpful before, don't know if it will help, but here goes.

As everyone else has said, it sounds like mal-ware for sure. In the past, have found rogue apps in the C drive under program files. I had to add myself as an authorized user to actually delete them. I always look up the program info on line to make sure it's not some weird program I actually before I get rid of it.

Have you checked to see what programs load at start up?

At the very worst, if the problem can't be identified, you can always re-intstall Windows. I hate doing that, but it sure beats the hell out of paying someone else to fix the problem!

Something I've found helpful for keeping crap off of my computer is an add-on for Firefox called 'NoScript'.
Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right.
-Henry Ford

#9 symbi

symbi

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:36 PM

Eyesee - agreed that Malwarebytes is important and a great tool, I didn't mention it because moosentonks had already listed that one. And I agree that Ad-Aware does seem to have to gone the same way as AVG and adds too much overhead (moose - since it didn't find anything, you might want to delete it). I still do like Spybot even if it looks the same as 3 years ago :-) I have to wonder if today's malware includes code to circumvent MBAM since its so widely used. I'm looking for some other options to run too - intrigued by WinPatrol, looking for other ideas too.

#10 symbi

symbi

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:43 PM

Moosentonks - if you haven't recently installed any new software or hardware, it does sound like posting the required logs over in the malware forum would be a good place to start. Just so you know, I posted over there late last Sunday night and haven't had a reply yet - they are swamped with requests and going as fast as the malware team can. On Tuesday I saw one reply that said there were over 290 unanswered posts ahead of one person. So given that you've made a good effort to troubleshoot on your own, it seems reasonable to get in line :-). You might also try the Windows 7 forum to see if anyone there has ideas. Let us know what you find out.

#11 moosentonks

moosentonks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:59 AM

Thanks a lot, everyone. I'll try the malware forum and we'll see what happens.

#12 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,805 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:04 PM

Hello,

Now that you have posted a log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic372197.htmlhyou should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a MRT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the MRT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the MRT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the MRT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users