Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compuet Shutting Down

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 crossfire

crossfire

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 09 December 2005 - 05:08 PM

Hi, I have been having serious problems with my computer lately. I will turn on my computer and it will get all the way to the desktop, windows and everything loads up and then about a minute into it my computer will just completely shut down. I took my computer into the shop, and the dude told me it was my hardrive causing it to do that, he replaced it with a new one and said he left it in overnight and it ran fine for them. So anyways i bought a new hardrive installed it and reloaded all my stuff, then after i was done and i had reinstalled my internet connection and everything it did the same thing. He said he checked the power supply and the fans hadn't shut down, they were working fine. So i have no clue what to do now and I was wondering if any of you guys could help me out. O yeah and when it shuts down it doesn't make any funny noises or anything it just shuts down completely, its a pain in the ass. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 crossfire

crossfire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2005 - 05:27 PM

Another thing I wanted to add, when I got it back from the shop I had to reload the operating system and everything( windows xp home edition) and this took me about an hour to do. I had some backup disk that the HP guy sent me. Anyways it took me an hour right, and when I was loading the os the computer ran fine and didnt shut down. It seems like the only time that it does it is when windows comes up. I checked the event viewer thing and it said everything was running fine.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 09 December 2005 - 06:44 PM

If Event Viewer said that there were no errors (and you haven't turned it off) - then the error occurs below the threshold for Windows to recognize it. As such, I'd suspect a hardware problem.

Please give us some more information about your system.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 crossfire

crossfire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2005 - 07:07 PM

Ok i just got off the phone with this dude and he said that he thinks it could possibly be a software conflict. I have one more thing to add, when i boot it up it will bring up the windows screen and if i dont click on anything, no programs or nothing it will stay on and run fine. I let it go and it ran for like 30 minutes straight without shutting down, then i restarted it and as soon as everything came up i started playing spider solitaire and it shut down. Im going to go get the specs for it and I will post it in a minute. I dont know if this helps or not?

#5 crossfire

crossfire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2005 - 08:36 PM

Ok here are the specs for my computer.
HP Pavillion 533w Desktop PC
Motherboard - Trigem Glendale VE 2002052
Processor - Celeron 2.0 GHz
512 MB DDR SDRAM
Master HD - 160GB Western Digital
Slave HD - 80GB Seagate Barracuda
Graphics card - TNT2Pro
Connect with a Linkseys wireless router

#6 crossfire

crossfire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2005 - 11:39 PM

Ok i just tryed starting my computer up again and now something new seems to be happening. I get a message that says........Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt \Windows\System32\Config\System. From the sound of it, that file seems important. What the hell could be causing this to happen.

#7 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2005 - 12:34 AM

Dear Cross,

My friend, this could be a dozen problems at this point. When you took it in to the service dealer, what exactly did he tell you?

How long have you had this computer?

Have you cleaned the computer lately? When I mean clean, I mean reseat all the circuit cards, look for corrosion, clean all the fans, check for loose wiring.

Oh, disclaimer, "UNPLUG COMPUTER BEFORE OPENING"! :thumbsup:

I am like you, I want my computer to work and now! Don't beat up your computer we will find out whats wrong soon.

This is something I want you to do. Shutdown your internet connection and your computer. Remove the Ram and place in another socket. You should have two at least or if you have two 256mb sticks remove both. Now place one in the second socket.

Now restart your computer and pay attention. You should here the fans start up and the hard drives start. If you hear both then all is good with most. If it shuts down at this point or stops. Then remove the Ram and place the other stick in and repeat the above.

What we are doing is checking your Ram and connections. If your computer starts up to Windows, immediately go to your system maintenance program and run a quick fix.

System maintenance programs can be Norton, System Mech, McAfee, and such. This is all done offline! If you can run maintenance, then run a anti-virus program and if that works shut down your computer.

Now I want you to check for heat. Don't touch but run your hand by the ram and CPU. If you feel a real hot from either then this could mean your power supply is bad.

Let us know,

junkdk :flowers:
Your Hardware Guide.

#8 crossfire

crossfire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2005 - 01:00 AM

Thanks Junkdk I really appreciate you trying to help me out man, im a college student and a lot of my work was on my computer so i guess i am being kind of impatient. But I appreciate it and i will go check those things

#9 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2005 - 09:56 PM

Dear Cross,

No problem. I have been there and I know your fustration.

If you party like I did in college/Navy then it could very well be a loose connection.

Let us know,

Junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#10 crossfire

crossfire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2005 - 11:48 PM

LOL, ok junkdk I pulled both of my memory sticks out and put one in at a time. I started up my computer and a blue HP screen came up, then it went to a completely black screen with a small white insertion point and thats all that will come up. Windows or nothing comes up after that, I tryed hitting some of the F keys when the blue hp screen came up and nothing happened, I also felt around the fans and cpu and i didnt feel any heat or anything out of the ordinary.Also I hooked both of the memory sticks in the original way i had them and all I get now is the black screen with the insertion point. What does this mean?

#11 crossfire

crossfire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2005 - 07:57 PM

I got up and tryed to install windows with my replacement boot disk and got nothing. I have my finals coming up and I would really appreciate if any of you guys can help me out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users