Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Delay in starting desktop

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BillTav

BillTav

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:21 AM

My specific slow bootup problem started recently. Boot proceeds normally but when it upens the background wallpaper, it sits there with the harddrive indicator off for about 3 minutes, and only then do the desktop icons come on. I have tried everything that has been suggested here and elsewhere. Pared the startup list to the bone (using Msconfig and CCleaner), and removed each remaining program at a time. I've used three different "cleaning" applications and malware detectors. Rebooted countless times, and still that delay persists. I have looked through your slow bootup posts, but have not seen any reference to my specific problem - maybe I missed something (I am new here).
There is something going on during those 3 minutes - but what?

Thanks, fellow Windows sufferers,

BillTav

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:09 AM

Try to ditch the background wallpaper.
Also, is anything active/web in the background picture?
I would create a new ID to see if that moves faster, just as a test.

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 07 January 2011 - 11:10 AM.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#3 BillTav

BillTav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:55 AM

Sorry - no effect. I changed wallpaper to "none" - also tried a new ID. It was a logical suggestion. This started about a month ago, and I have uninstalled all applications that I have added over the past couple of months - also with no effect. There is something going on during those few minutes that does not involve the hard drive - maybe a temporary memory loop of some sort. This is not fatal, but just a nuisance to have a reboot take over 5 minutes. Maybe I should upgrade to Windows 7 and encounter a new set of problems?
Thanks, Frank,

BillTav

#4 broder946

broder946

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:16 PM

I was having a problem with slow start-up, but I went to downloadcnet.com and downloaded XPQuickFixplus and it repaired to problem. It only takes about 30 t0 45 seconds to boot up. Hope this helps.
broder946

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:17 PM

I've used three different "cleaning" applications and malware detectors
I have uninstalled all applications that I have added over the past couple of months

Hi BillTav -
Why don't you post an item in the Am I Infected area of the forum and let the experts have a quick look at your logs just to be sure -
There is most likely a small infection/problem that may be picked up in a DDS scan log or similar -

Good Luck However You Try -

#6 BillTav

BillTav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 07:57 PM

Rebooting in Safe Mode goes smoothly and swiftly.
I downloaded and ran a boot log analyzer: Bootlog XP plus, and came up with a suspect: userinit.exe
Google tells me that that file may be a trojan carrier and is suspect. I am still not sure what to do about it and would appreciate advice. AVG did not catch it, and I am hesitant to simply delete it, if possible. According to the analysis it takes 182 seconfds to load. Does this file also serve some essential function in the XP system?

Happy New Year!

BillTav

#7 BillTav

BillTav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:09 PM

PS. Userinit.exe is probably OK - the only version of it is in Windows/system32 folder, and tests OK with MalwareBytes.

BillTav

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,298 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:50 AM

A suggestion made previously...was to initiate a new topic in the Am I Infected forum.

I'm not saying that is what you should do...I don't see enough pertinent information posted to indicate what direction you should take...but that was what might be conidered "advice."

You might also take a look at Slow Computer-browser Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic87058.html .

Louis

#9 BillTav

BillTav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:51 AM

Progress. I removed GoogleUpdate.exe and IntuitUpgrade.exe from the services list and that cut about a half-minute from bootup time. Uninstalled AVG free and substituted PCTools Free AntiVirus, and now my bootup time is just over 2 minutes. When I started ths, my time was over 5 minutes. I have learned a lot in the process.

Thanks,

BillTav

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,298 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:22 AM

If you're satisfied, so are we :).

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic