Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Always installing updates when shutting down

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Zebug

Zebug

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:13 AM

Greetings,

I built my comp (with the help of several fine people on this forum) in July. Bought a new copy of Win7-64bit and everything has been running great. Lately, everytime I shut down it says it needs to install updates and it goes through 23 installations. I let it do it's thing and the next day is the same thing, installing updates 1 of 23. I've watched it and it does go through all 23 (can't see any details) and then shuts down like it should.

Anyone ever hear of this occurrence and if so, any tips? Thank you very much.

ok, I looked at the updated, and most of them are for XP??? Copied the details of one of them below and of course all of the XP upates failed, now after more digging, I did install Microsoft Office XP on my system as I didn't really want to buy a new office suite, but I looking at the update list, almost all of them refer to powerpoint or office or something. I bet you that is the issue.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Security Update for Microsoft Office XP (KB957646)

Installation date: ‎1/‎6/‎2011 11:16 PM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 646

Update type: Important

A security vulnerability exists in Microsoft Office XP that could allow arbitrary code to run when a maliciously modified document is opened. This update resolves that vulnerability.

More information:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=B0BA8C9E-75EE-46BD-9E92-D4E6599309AD&displaylang=en

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com/?LN=en-us

Edited by Zebug, 07 January 2011 - 09:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpwebb2003

wpwebb2003

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:59 AM

Hey Zebug,

Just a visitor here at the site, but I was having that problem when I first starting using Win 7.
not those perticular updates, but updates in general. I kept thinking dang there are alot of updates to Win 7.
I found it was trying to install the same updates everyday because they were failing to install during shutdown.
I know go into the windows update and run them before shutting down and no more problems,all would install with no fails.

just thought Id share. thanks,

William.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users