Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ping Ok _ internet access - but can't see network computers

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 zigzag04

zigzag04

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:32 AM

Problem networking - I am using a cable modem to a Cisco WRVS4400N router. An ASUS motherboard desktop hardwired to router and a wireless Thinkpad T40. I am using XP Pro. I have full internet access on both computers however I cannot see my network. On the laptop, I can see the laptop listed under my workgroup,though the desktop takes a long time for the workgroup to appear and I'll get a error message that reads the following. "The List Servers for this workgroup is not correctly available". I uninstalled Symantec End Point and reinstalled Avast and stopped firewalls, even at XP level. Ran Malwarebytes on both systems and ran End Point prior unstalling with no infestations showing. I get intermittent periods where I can see and tranfer files, with unstability then this disappears. However when I do see, I cannot see my D: on my desktop from my laptop.

Submitted hyjack logs and others recommended by bleepingcomputer for potential rootkit/malware issues to find system is clean. Any additional thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:39 AM

Since you have submitted logs for review and analysis by the MRT it is highly recommended that you only receive help from the MRT Team.

Edited by cryptodan, 07 January 2011 - 06:40 AM.

#3 zigzag04

zigzag04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:43 AM

thanks do I need to do anything differently here or will the MRT team reply and identify theirselves.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:45 AM

They will reply accordingly and you will see that reply to your topics.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:07 AM

How many computers are we talking about, and what are the operating systems? I am sorry I didnt see that you were redirected here from the MRL Section.

#6 zigzag04

zigzag04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:42 AM

an ASUS motherboard desktop and an IBM T40 thinkpad running on Windows XP Pro Servicepack 3

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:12 PM

Do both computers have accounts of the same username and password and are currently sharing files?

#8 zigzag04

zigzag04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 04:21 PM

Yes They have accounts with the same username and password however they are not able to share files. I open the workgroup on both computers and it opens very slowly. When the workgroup comes up you see no computers in the network on the desktop. You do see the laptop in the network on the laptop. Let me share also that this network worked fine at one time. Something appears to be possibly blocking the network now.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:03 PM

Is windows firewall enabled, and that file and printer sharing is enabled on both computers, and that each one is in the same subnet aka has IP addresses in the same range. Can be found by going to Start then Run and type in cmd hit enter, and in the big black box type in ipconfig /all.

#10 zigzag04

zigzag04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:31 AM

Windows firewall is shut off. So is the Avast firewall. I believe the file and printer sharing is still enabled on both computers but I will check this again on both computers and get back to you shortly. Rechecking the subnet address range as well. Question though did pop up doing the ipconfig/all on the ASUS motherboard desktop hardwired to the router. In the cmd box, Is the Windows IP config routing enabled - suppost to say yes or no? Mine says no

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:57 AM

On my windows xp machines routing enabled is set to no.

#12 zigzag04

zigzag04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:24 AM

Ok to answer this question; 1). is in the same subnet aka has IP addresses in the same range? Yes

2). Is windows firewall enabled, and that file and printer sharing is enabled on both computers? My firewalls are both shut down but to the best of my ability, I believe the file and printer sharing are enabled on both computers.

I wonder since I uninstalled Symantic Endpoint and later reinstalled Avast, maybe I need to redo my network from the beginning. You question; Is windows firewall enabled? makes me wonder if I need now to enable the Firewalls again and redo the network, so that the Firewalls learn the network in the process of redo.

This make sense or do you feel this is extra work?

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 06:02 PM

How did you remove Symantec?

#14 zigzag04

zigzag04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:07 AM

Through add/remove programs in the control panel and it came up remove successful. The live update however stayed around and I managed to get a tech from Symantec to help me remove it. You bring up a good point that although I believe it is removed, I wonder if there are residual files hanging around. The manual process Symantec recommends is a killer and I thought since it came off successfully I didn't have to go through that process. Avast loaded fine and it also seems to be working fine and I understand I may have seen conflicts, too.

Point I would like to add which I was reminded of yesterday. On the desktop, a message comes up after trying for about a full minute or so to open the workgroup; The list of servers for this workgroup are not available currently. This does not happen on the laptop. On opening the laptop to the workgroup, the laptop appears but not the desktop with no message. Not sure if this helps.

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:18 PM

Try this link: Norton Removal Tool to make sure all of Norton is Gone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users