Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

issues with DVD r/w drive after installing PowerIso software, bios will no longer boot DVDs

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 MadJester

MadJester

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:04 AM

Hello!

I am using windows 7.
I wanted to unpack/mount an some ISO's so I installed a program called powerISO. Ever since I have been completely unable to read from the DVD drive. Interestingly, when booting my bios will no longer recognize and launch bootable CD/DVDs.

In the device manager all I have now are items under "IDE/ATA controllers ..">Channel 0 and 1, no DVD/ CD drives. Nothing under computer of coarse.

-I have been googling looking for solutions and have tried removing "upper filters" (I have no lower filters entry to remove) and restarting but no joy.
-I also tried uninstalling power ISO
-also tried uninstalling channel 1/ channel 0 in device manager and rebooting. windows detected new hardware and installed stuff, but still no joy, there is still not even a DVD/CD tray icon in computer.

I cant even format since I cant boot from my windows disk :( though I think this has gone past being only a windows issue.

Many thanks!
Jester

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:30 AM

Did you successfully...uninstall the program, using Add/Remove Programs? If so, did the system return to normal?

http://www.poweriso.com/tutorials/index.htm

Louis

#3 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:54 AM

What about a system restore point?

At first I was going to suggest going to upper an lower filters, but that was already done. I had a similiar problem right after I installed an ISO program to create a linux disk.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#4 MadJester

MadJester
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:33 PM

thanks for the replies guys!

hamluis:
I removed it with its included uninstaller, so it will no longer be listed. Are you aware of a difference in this methods?

s1lents0ul:
unfortunately I had no system restore point to go back to (I have actually never used the tool before, but I suppose its a good idea to get familiar haha)
I read on another forum were someone had the same problem, same application, that system restore had not worked for them. Unfortunately that thread was rather old and there was no solution.

I seem to recall having this problem once before a long while ago but I really cannot remember how I resolved it, except I did try taking the computer apart at the time thinking that there could be a loose connection. Does anyone think that might work? (this laptop is a paint to disassemble!)

Thanks!

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:21 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116'> CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows .

Restart computer afterward.

The popular CDGONE patch. CD drives may vanish in Windows Explorer, Device Manager, etc. if a third-party CD-burning package has been uninstalled and Registry references for some code modules arenít removed successfully. This patch and a reboot usually will restore the missing drives.

Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch.

Scroll down the page to Restore Missing CD Drive. Click on this to start the download.

Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.

or...

Go to Device Manager, click on the "+" sign to the left of IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.

You will see two listings:

ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)

Right click on each of them and click Uninstall, then Confirm.

The Controllers will be automatically reinstalled after restarting your computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 symbi

symbi

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:12 PM

If you're not even seeing it in BIOS, it might not hurt to try disconnecting the cables to the drive, booting the computer, powering off, reconnecting the drive, and restarting. Sorry to hear that the laptop's such a pain to try this with, but it might help.

#7 MadJester

MadJester
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:40 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116'> CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows .

Restart computer afterward.

The popular CDGONE patch. CD drives may vanish in Windows Explorer, Device Manager, etc. if a third-party CD-burning package has been uninstalled and Registry references for some code modules arenít removed successfully. This patch and a reboot usually will restore the missing drives.

Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch.

Scroll down the page to Restore Missing CD Drive. Click on this to start the download.

Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.

or...

Go to Device Manager, click on the "+" sign to the left of IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.

You will see two listings:

ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)

Right click on each of them and click Uninstall, then Confirm.

The Controllers will be automatically reinstalled after restarting your computer.

The first link specifies upper and lower filters. No joy for me when I tried that the first time. :(
The CD gone patch sounds about right, but the website specifies "windows xp only" and I am using windows 7. I guess I will try it anyways since it cannot get any more broken (I only hope!) but I am curious what the difference is.

I did try removing channel 1 and 0 already and restarting, also no joy when trying that.

If you're not even seeing it in BIOS, it might not hurt to try disconnecting the cables to the drive, booting the computer, powering off, reconnecting the drive, and restarting. Sorry to hear that the laptop's such a pain to try this with, but it might help.

will get to this sometime this weekend and post what happened if the above doesnt work

Does anyone know why a windows originating problem was able to prevent the bios from recognizing the drive? Very peculiar.

#8 MadJester

MadJester
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 07:13 PM

Just tried all of the suggestions in dc3's post, in order step by step encase there was a difference or a mistake before, however there was no success.

Starting into ubuntu I note that while gnome (or nautilus or whatever;) does see the "cdrom0" it cannot read the contents of disks either. Also, when I start the computer, while the bios will not boot from a CD, the drive does spin up.

Thanks for all of the help so far everyone!

Edited by MadJester, 08 January 2011 - 07:14 PM.

#9 MadJester

MadJester
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:43 AM

so as discussed, I:
removed the dvdrom drive,
restarted,
turned off,
reinstalled it,
restarted

and windows found it, but failed to detect it, showing a warning (the attached image)
I checked the device manager and the DVDrom drive was there, however I refreshed it (or something, cant remember what I did) and the list no longer had CD/DVD rom listed :(

I took a look at the microsoft suggestions, they suggest:
Make sure your computer is connected to the Internet and automatic updating is turned on
Manually check for drivers using Windows Update
Install software for the device
Manually add older hardware that doesn't support Plug and Play
Run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter

but none of them have really panned out for me, windows found no update and my connection was enabled, etc etc. anyone have any suggestions?

update:
still broken.. :(
-I notice when I shut down that windows complains about csc.exe, which google tells me is either related to a C# compiler, or registry problems... :( not that anything other than my dvdrom doesn't work (windows seems fine otherwise)
-I tried removing/re-adding the drive again in the hopes that windows would attempt to install it again. no luck. Apparently windows doesn't love me.
csc.exe - Application Error

The applciation failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142).  Click on OK to terminate the application.

Attached Files

Edited by MadJester, 09 January 2011 - 02:07 AM.

#10 Yoshistr

Yoshistr

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:06 PM

If your computer is not booting up from the CD/DVD drive before windows loads it has nothing to do with current Windows settings including drivers.
So to first fix this turn the computer on and enter the BIOS settings, check to make sure the boot order is set to load the CD drive prior to anything else. Save and Exit the bios, load a working Boot CD, it can be any CD such as a windows boot or linux live cd and restart the computer. If it does not boot we will need to make sure the hardware is properly working.

Remove power cord.
Remove the case from the computer.
Reseat the power cable to the cd/dvd drive.
Remove RAM sticks one at a time.
Replace each RAM stick in reverse order back to original locations.
Switch jumper from master to slave, wait 5 seconds, switch it back (resets if you know how to do so otherwise skip)
Remove CMOS battery (if available)
Replace CMOS battery (if above step was followed)
Make sure all components are in original position and close the case.
Reconnect the power cord.
Turn the computer on and put a bootable CD/DVD into the drive.
Test and report back.
Yoshistr Support Team

#11 MadJester

MadJester
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 04:53 PM

If your computer is not booting up from the CD/DVD drive before windows loads it has nothing to do with current Windows settings including drivers.

from a debugging point of view this is quite true and the same thoughts have occurred to me too, however as stated facts mentioned in the earlier posts being that the problem originated in windows, and that the drive has shown itself in windows, drivers fail to install etc, this assumption cannot afford to be made in full. Still, some of the steps below may be geared at reseting the bios (no explanation) is this the case?

So to first fix this turn the computer on and enter the BIOS settings, check to make sure the boot order is set to load the CD drive prior to anything else. Save and Exit the bios, load a working Boot CD, it can be any CD such as a windows boot or linux live cd and restart the computer. If it does not boot we will need to make sure the hardware is properly working.

done as prior

Remove power cord.
Remove the case from the computer.
Reseat the power cable to the cd/dvd drive.

remember, this is a laptop

Remove RAM sticks one at a time.
Replace each RAM stick in reverse order back to original locations.

there could be some subtle point I am missing in the desire to remove volatile memory? Since both sticks are of the same make and manufacture, and hold no (valid) data at this point as the computer is off.

Switch jumper from master to slave, wait 5 seconds, switch it back (resets if you know how to do so otherwise skip)

There are as this is a laptop drive no jumpers, however I will recheck to be certain.

Remove CMOS battery (if available)
Replace CMOS battery (if above step was followed)

This will be quite the process to do (as this is a laptop) with the risk of damaging the hardware, unthreading skrews etc. In light of the volitile memory step an explanation would be appreciated. If this is to reset the bios it would be good to know as it will be easier to just update it from windows instead of taking the whole LT apart. Since many modern laptops have a battery soldered to the board I would especially wish to avoid this (I believe my LT is in this category).

Make sure all components are in original position and close the case.
Reconnect the power cord.
Turn the computer on and put a bootable CD/DVD into the drive.

since we removed the CMOS battery bios settings are gone, so we should remember to re set boot from cd/dvd

Test and report back.

I appreciate that you are trying to help, however please take the time to read the details in the earlier posts, or alternatively provide the suggestions with explanations so that so that I can can spend my time effectively and safely and can logically debug.

Does anyone know how this situation of windows effecting the lower level system occurs? Itunes complained the registry keys prevented access to the drive, I tried reinstalling it hoping it would reset what it needed with no luck. I would not be adverse to resetting the bios but I would like to understand what we are trying to accomplish and take the most sensible approach.

Edited by MadJester, 09 January 2011 - 05:17 PM.

#12 symbi

symbi

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:04 AM

Wow, this really stinks, sorry you're having these ongoing problems! I was hopeful that the next step after Windows at least recognized the drive again would be manually installing drivers (didn't sound like auto locate worked), but then it disappeared again. If we can get back to it, do you have a driver disk or can you find specific model drivers to match your drive somewhere on the net?

I think Yoshistr's suggestion about swapping RAM was to rule out bad memory sticks rather than than a volatile memory clear which would be handled through power off as you suggested. Removing/replacing the CMOS battery is indeed intended to reset the BIOS, but you're probably right that it's next to impossible in a laptop - perhaps search 'CMOS battery <your laptop model>' to see how the vendor handles it. Updating the BIOS to most current would certainly be a reasonable step too, though you mentioned updating it through Windows, it's usually a boot disk well before Windows starts...although I suppose the vendor could make a Windows utility to do it. Yikes, I remember the days when flashing BIOS was a terrifying experience, only to be done as a last resort, with shaking hands, and a stack of backup BIOS floppies by your side.

As for a Windows app causing pre-Windows damage, I'm starting to lean more toward a hardware failure probably coincidental to the attempted use of the software, even if I don't believe in coincidences in computers. I'm reaching here but it's possible that the program did something or tried to get the drive to do something it's not supposed to do to cause a hardware problem that manifests in Windows losing the drive but that is pure speculation and without a lot of evidence I definitely am not stating that as a fact. Would you entertain trying a different DVD drive? Again, not trivial to do with a laptop (I doubt you happen to have extras in the same form factor sitting around). A head-scratcher, for sure...

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:58 AM

Do you have a friend who has a laptop that you could try this drive in? At least this would substantiate the condition of this drive.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#14 MadJester

MadJester
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:48 AM

I like dc3s suggestion about testing the drive if possible, ideally I will see if I can do this, hmmm..

it is a pretty sticky one symbi, I have the toshiba windows disc but no way to access it ;) I have never been able to install drivers from it before anyway. I will search the webs and see what comes up. I guess this is why most of the thread I read trail off with no solution :(

its strange, but I know this happened back in the day when I had XP, I never linked it to a software incident at the time however, I just noticed it was not working. I really cannot remember how I got it working again, tricky stuff.

as for the volatile memory thing, since the RAM is well, random access ;) changing them wont make a difference I would expect. if the memory had such a substantial flaw we should be expecting all kinds of things to stop working as the drivers are very unlikely to occupy the same space in memory across multiple sessions (as far as my knowledge goes)

Apparently these drives also have embedded firmware, so it is also possible that the drive firmware was damaged :"( eek.

Thanks for the suggestions I will see were it takes this ad get back :)

#15 MadJester

MadJester
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:14 AM

ok, so it is working again but i have absolutely no idea why.

Unfortunately I used the shot gun approach, taking the whole thing apart.

I note that my drive does not plug into the slot completely even if the whole in the laptop is aligned, so I believe this accounts for why windows saw my drive the first time I replaced it, and not the second.

as for why it is working now..? I am certain the burning program set this off, but who knows.

Other things I did were:

-removed/replaced the drive again
-started the computer with the HD unplugged by mistake (added for completeness)
-removed the cmos battery from the board as per yoshistr's suggestion (I personally believe this is what did it)
-I switched the RAM, like I said I very much doubt this does anything but its very easy to do

what i do note is when windows started, the drive took a long to access the disk while it spun. I suspect this is because windows was configuring drivers or because it was calibrating.

any suggestions for a good CD/DVD rom emulator image loading program that wont make my actual drive pack it in?

other than that thanks everyone for the help!

MadJester

Edited by MadJester, 10 January 2011 - 07:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users