Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics card or monitor problem?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 needhelp16

needhelp16

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:19 AM

I have a Dell Latitude D620 with Windows XP and was infected with malware few days ago. After we finished cleaning the laptop, I have started seeing some problems in the normal mode. When I start the laptop in normal mode, in most cases, it will start with lot of blue stripes all over the screen and will continue to have it even after the system has completed the start up process. In case it did not show the blue strips during start up, it will show up within few minutes after the system has completed the start up cycle. On the other hand, in safe mode, there are no lines at all so this problem is only in normal mode.

Please advise.

Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:52 PM

You might try uninstalling the video drivers (could be damaged from malware or removal of same)...and then reinstalling the video drivers.

The fact that it doesn't occur in safe mode...seemingly points to the drivers, IMo.

Louis

#3 needhelp16

needhelp16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:35 PM

Sorry that I did not notice the reply here. I was watching it for 2-3 days and since there was no reply, I stopped checking here. I did download the nvidia video driver and ran the program. Not sure how I can uninstall the driver and reinstall. It started working fine and after I restarted, it was back to the same thing. Also, it started coming up with big fonts in normal mode as if I have started it in safe mode and I will only have two options for the resolution with the other one being even bigger than what already comes up. Any help or advice will be much appreciated. Currently, I have it started up as normal and everything seems fine so I am creating a backup right now using DriveImge XML hoping that if anything goes wrong, I will have a copy.

#4 needhelp16

needhelp16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:00 PM

During backup process, it has started getting the lines over the screen so looks like it is back to the same problem. It did not stay with normal screen for too long.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:20 PM

Since you only have two options for display resolution I am thinking drivers as well.
Look in add/remove programs and see if you have anything for an NVidia Graphics driver (or something to that extent) and uninstall it then reboot.
Test it for a while with the generic vga drivers. It may look large & washed out but see if the stipe issue goes away.
Your video drivers are here
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 needhelp16

needhelp16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:16 PM

Thanks. The backup is still in progress. I will follow the directions as soon as it is done and update with the results.

#7 needhelp16

needhelp16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:49 PM

After the backup was done, I restarted the system and it has been working fine since then without uninstalling the drivers or anything. I tried it couple of times since morning and it has been coming up with the normal screen. Should I wait or go ahead with the un-installation etc.

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:23 PM

The stripes are gone then I take it.
At this point I would say if it aint broke dont fix it.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#9 needhelp16

needhelp16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:04 PM

To my surprise, the problem was back and then I uninstalled the nvidia driver and reinstalled but it did not help. It will start with "some" stripes over the screens when we see the windows logo then after it is done, it will come as if it is in safe mode. I tried to restart several times, but it always comes up as if it is in safe mode. Though there are no strips when it is like that. When you browse a website, it will scroll in pieces like a wave form as it happens in safe mode. Also, when I go to shut down the system, the standby mode is grayed out and not available as an option (FYI in case there is something that may be obvious).

Please advise.

Edited by needhelp16, 20 January 2011 - 04:05 PM.

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:07 PM

Where did you obtain the driver from?

#11 needhelp16

needhelp16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:59 PM

Got it from dell site. It is the same link that is posted above.

#12 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:06 PM

Ok.
So first you downloaded the drivers from Dell.
Then went to Add\remove and uninstalled any programs for the Nvidia display driver.
Rebooted the PC. Cancel out of Windows attempting to automatically trying to install drivers on it`s own.
Then double-click on the d\l`d driver package from Dell and let them install(?).

#13 needhelp16

needhelp16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:33 PM

That is correct. I did exactly that. After the installation was finished, it asked to restart which I did as well.

#14 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:39 PM

At this point I`m afraid it may very well be a hardware issue then.

I can not think of anything else.

#15 needhelp16

needhelp16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:44 PM

I never had this problems until my system got infected with malware and removal of the same led to this new problem. I know that it could very well be a coincidence but makes me think that there is something that is wrong with some program especially when I got it working yesterday for few hours. Any thoughts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users