Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cloning boot drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 albinoking

albinoking

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:55 PM

hi,

i'd like to clone my boot drive (xp sp3) from an older WD 250 gb to a new WD 1 tb. i have acronis WD edition which i assume i'll be using, but i'd very much appreciate a quick walk-thru before the drive arrives in the mail.

some thoughts-

should i boot to the acronis CD?
is it before or after the cloning that i will need to adjust the drive letters?
and how?
any trouble "expanding" the partition to fill the 1 tb?

thanks

Edited by hamluis, 07 January 2011 - 08:22 AM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to All Other Applications ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 albinoking

albinoking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 07:02 PM

[bump]

i'm guessing changing the newly cloned drive to C: is either really easy or too difficult, anyone?

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:49 AM

I'm not sure I understand why you think you'll need to adjust drive letters. You'll be cloning an old drive to a new one, correct? Acronis should either automatically assign C: or you'll be given the option during the process.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users