Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

task manager..54 processes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,709 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:53 PM

G;day,
running windows xp media centre edition pro...32 bit Sp3
I read a reply to a post by "dpunisher" where he said "
I usually like to see 32 (on average) or less processes running on a normal system."
I opened task manager and I have 54 processes.
Where do I start?
I have autoruns on my pc, but dont have a very clear idea how to use it.
Brian

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:13 AM

Hello,

I have the same OS and service pack and I have 61 running. What makes you think there is a problem? Not all OS's and machines are created equal. Because someone has 32 does not mean your machine works with only 32. Unless you see performance issues or erratic behavior, I would not be overly concerned.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,709 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:25 AM

G'day,....well....I was not overly concerned.......I was proceeding along what i thought would be a logical line....ie.....if my PC has to spend resources etc, loading and maintaining these processes......are not those resources better employed bolstering the processes that ARE necessary....as opposed to those that may not be?......or can be started manually when needed......and does this not eventually add to overall performance ,speed, efficiency etc of the PC?
Brian
(Condobloke)

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:16 AM

As stated...there is no magic number for processes running on a system.

The number of processes will vary according to what is installed which has update/scan facilities...Windows processes...drivers...and so on.

If you want to use Autoruns as a tool to manage startups...please read the instructions and realize that all typical "startup items" which are not essential Windows processes or drivers...appear on the Logon tab of Autoruns. That is the only tab where you should consider disabling or removing items from running and that should be done only after careful analysis by you (using Google) of the listed item.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users