Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I hope you don't mind another post about network issues after SERVICE PACK 3

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 All Meshed Up

All Meshed Up

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:21 PM

After having dial-up for so many years I recently moved to a place with proper internet access. One of the first things I did was update my Windows as it hadn't been done in forever.

Well, I got SP3, 'cause I'm stupid.

After that, my networking didn't work AT ALL. I had just set up a home network and had everything finalized, so I knew it was my computer. I then reverted back to Service Pack 2 and was able to connect to the internet again. But not with out some issues. Here's the 2 I've been trying to fix:

1.) My Local Area Connection has some DHCP issues. It seems to be unable to automatically set up it's IP address and resorts to APIPA which prevents it from connecting to any other device unless I set a static IP (and subnet and all that). Since I use wireless for my internet, this mainly affects my ability to stream content to media devices, but it's still a pretty big problem I'd like fixed. Someone suggested I delete the Winsock and Winsock2 entries in the registry, then reinstall them in the network properties, but I'm not sure if that's safe.

2.) Another problem is that the Microsoft client for my wireless connection will not connect to any networks for seemingly no reason. I have to resort to using the Intel PROset Wireless client. So, every time I turn on my PC, I have to switch to the Microsoft client (which won't connect to my network), then switch back to the Intel client. Only then can I get my Wireless to do anything. Is there anything I need to look at regarding how Windows manages my wireless?

These may be odd problems to solve, but I had no problems before installing Service Pack 3. Any help is appreciated.
"There must be someway out of here, Said the joker to the thief."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:26 PM

I would highly recommend that you uninstall SP3, and make sure you have updated all your drivers and software to make sure you are running the very latest from the manufacture of your computer or computer components if you built it yourself. Then once that is done reapply SP3.

#3 All Meshed Up

All Meshed Up
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:36 PM

I said I reverted to SP2. I effectively had NO networking after SP3. Now, back with SP2, there are still small issues. All software and drivers are up to date.
After this, there is absolutely NO WAY I am reinstalling SP3.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:42 AM

Your operating system will remain unsupported, and any new patches or security holes will not be fixed or repaired.

#5 All Meshed Up

All Meshed Up
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:44 AM

Outdated and functional or updated and useless?
What would you choose?

This isn't a security issues. It's a software issue and an operating system screw up. Now, any suggestions?

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:05 AM

Its not an issue with Windows XP SP3, it is an issue with drivers on your system being non-compliant with XP SP3. There are strict guidelines that one must follow to make sure they have met all required steps to updating their computer from SP2 to SP3. They are as follows:

Updating any and all relevant drivers from motherboard to video card.

Updating any and all applications installed on the computer.

Making sure that any security applications such as Virus Scanners and Anti-Malware tools are disabled/turned off while updates are being applied.

Making sure that you are running the latest BIOS for your motherboard.

Making sure that you have enough space to install the updates.

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:34 AM

Whether you install SP3 or not...that's your business.

That doesn't change the fact that any user running Windows XP...without SP3...is more vulnerable to malware than a user with SP3 and ensuing critical updates installed.

Various OEM systems...have distinct procedures suggested for users of their products.

Dell - Installing SP3 - http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&cs=04&dl=false&l=en&s=bsd&docid=47DABAC4EAEE89F3E040A68F5A282CDA&doclang=en

Dell - SP3 FAQ - http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&cs=04&dl=false&l=en&s=bsd&docid=4B7BF14FA25A4429E040A68F5A282C3C&doclang=en

HP Instructions for SP3 - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=de&cc=de&os=228&product=3962105&lang=de&docname=c01452495

Windows Xp Service Pack 3 (sp3) Information - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic146857.html

Louis

#8 All Meshed Up

All Meshed Up
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:17 PM

It is all up to date. And it was when I installed Service Pack 3. One of the first things I did with my new connection was update EVERYTHING.
So it IS the fault of service pack 3 and I'm not allowing it on my machine. It may as well be a virus to me.

Now, back to the problem I posted: Does anyone know what can be done to fix the DHCP on my LAN?

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:34 PM

You can do the following:

Turn off the router.

Turn off the Computer.

Wait for about 5 minutes.

Then power on the router wait for 2 to 3 minutes then reboot the computer.

Can you please do what I suggested in my post regarding speccy.

You have contradicted yourself. In the post above you stated that you had updated everything, and then installed Windows XP SP3 and then performed the updates. It can't be both at the sametime. I have done many installs of SP3, and on various computers. None of them have exhibited the issues that you are stating. Knowing your computer specs will make it easier for us to help you identify issues.

Your DHCP Issues could be a sign of a malware infection.

#10 All Meshed Up

All Meshed Up
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:44 AM

No no no, let's get some things straight here.

I updated my system first, then updated windows. Once I installed SP3 I had no networking to speak of.

NOT malware. Once my PC rebooted, networking was dead.

Rolled back to SP2. Networking came back.

Since then I have been unable to connect to my router or ANY other device via ethernet without setting a fixed IP. Wireless issue may be software related so you can disregard that. I'm working to fix it.

NOT an issue with the router. Work has been done on the network since this occurred.

I need to find out how to fix my LAN's inability to automatically set itself. Even if I wanted to double check all the aspects of my system and install Service Pack 3, I absolutely will NOT do so until the problems left by it's temporary installation are fixed. Understand?

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:51 AM

Can you post your system specs via SPeccy so we can better assist you with your issues.

Then your networking device was not compatible with SP3 or your device is failing.

Have you tried:

Repairing Winsock and Networking Settings

You may also have to run sfc /scannow to repair possibly corrupted drivers from your Windows XP SP 3 install / uninstall.

Please post the speccy report as requested so we can see what kind of hardware we are dealing with.

#12 Torchwood

Torchwood

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:21 AM

Hi Allmeshedup,
B4 i start i might be barkin up the wrong tree here its a long time ago i setup sp3,on W7 now, but a few things i do remember.

Have a look in device manger (show hidden), any problem devices.
some wireless drivers dont like WPA2,
some user interfaces dont work in SP3 install the drivers ONLY
turn off
dial up mode
LAN i think it takes seniority
WZC (RE item 2 your 1st post)

you said ethernet and wireless, have you got the cable and a wireless USB running at the same time

download Secunia & dial a fix.

just some thoughts

ill look back later

Edited by Torchwood, 08 January 2011 - 10:26 AM.

#13 All Meshed Up

All Meshed Up
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:50 PM

I have little time at the moment, so I'll post Speccy later. But I ran that Winsock repair tool and now my LAN works! Thank you very much. I knew it was something like this.

Again, I'll be back later but now that I have my secondary network connection functioning properly I can work on fixing my wireless (Windows won't connect with it, only the Intel software) and be sure that all my network drivers and software and what-not are back to the condition they were before this mess of an update ruined them.

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2011 - 06:00 PM

On windows you can only use one wireless connection tool at one time. you have tp pick between Intel or Windows. I would recommend using Intel, and to disable Wireless Zero Config.

#15 trappermike

trappermike

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:36 PM

All Meshed Up,you can still get all the latest Windows updates with SP2.I too refuse to install SP3 after it destroyed my last computer,and I don't want anymore useless security features like Vista. I found a simple trick I read about,changing a registry value,that tricks Windows into seeing that your computer has SP3,I get all the latest updates every month,but I like to pick and choose which to download though.
I know many people that just stayed with SP2...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users