Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Issue

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lucidion

Lucidion

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:36 PM

I will try to be concise as possible with my post as I am frantically worrying about the status of my computer. I will start with my system Specs.

Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
760MB Hard Drive
1.5MB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 7600GS AGP 512MB DDR2
Pentium 4 3.0GHz Processor

The problem started this morning.. I have been playing Resident Evil 5 on my computer on Medium Settings with motion blur activated for the past few weeks on my system. It has been running at about 16-18FPS which is smooth enough to be playable. This morning, I woke up to play and I noticed dramatic drop in my graphics performance. I ran the fixed FPS test that they have available on the client and I am suddenly running no more than 5FPS. I am not sure what could have happened as I did not install anything new.. The only thing I can figure is I may have either caught something while surfing or my graphics hardware is on its last leg but it's only about a year old. I am hoping it is not the latter. I have run Avast antivirus as well as MalwareBytes. Neither picked up anything, I also eliminated any unnecessary processes in hopes that something else may be eating resources but to know avail, I even ran system restore to a date in which my capabilities were normal with no positive results. I am at a loss because I rely on this system as my only means of gaming. It seems to be mostly effecting the next-gen games I have such as Dragon Age: Origins (Normal 14FPS - Now 3FPS) Resident Evil 5 (Normal 16FPS - Now 5 FPS), and Prince of Persia - The Forgotten Sands (Normal 28FPS - Now 10FPS)

I appreciate anyone who may be able to help me with my situation.. I will be as patient as possible while awaiting response.

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lucidion

Lucidion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:58 AM

I am still having this issue, and it only seems to be worsening in my system.. I do not normally intend to bump issues, but in this case, I am concerned that if something isn't done fast, I may have a serious problem on my hands.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:26 PM

Well...if I had a sudden graphics issue...first thing I would do is uninstall the graphics drivers...and then reinstall same.

As for your fears...if the card/chip is failing, it's failing. I myself would not consider that before removing/reinstalling drivers.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users