Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell XPS M173

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 pouringreign

pouringreign

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:52 PM

I have a situation which I don’t know how to resolve. A person came in with there laptop and said the hard drive was not recognized by the laptop after the computer could not find his profile. It created a new profile I thought it was the hard drive causing the problem, but when I tested the hard drive on another computer the hard drive was fine. So then I had a laptop technician take a look at it, he diagnosed it and put in a new dell motherboard. Now the hard drive was recognized.

I reformatted everything fine but after loading the drivers, it seemed to have the original problem. The profile went back to the default profile.

I was going to call Dell to help me install the driver. I wanted to put in the service tag# to find the exact drivers. However I could not find the service tag# on it. I have never seen a dell without a service tag. The model was XPS M173.

I plan to bring the laptop back to the technician that ordered the motherboard. But before I do I was thinking that I should put in all the windows updates first and then do the drivers. I will take advice as to what I should do?

Why would the laptop all of the sudden not find the profile?

If anyone has ever experienced such a delima I would be greatful to hear how such a problem was resolved. :angry:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pouringreign

pouringreign
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:55 PM

I just remembered the problem started after I tried to load net framework. I don't know why this would do it? Alot of the drivers required net framework.

#3 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 541 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:59 PM

I had that happen a few years ago, but I think I bailed on that ID. Maybe the HD really is screwy. Wondering if you created passwords, or ran network wizard and made files private before problem. <Just a thought.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#4 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 541 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:00 PM

I have had problems on some pcs with netframework if they are not installed in order 1-2-3-4. Seemed that Windows update would screw up installations randomly.

All updates were successful?

Frank O' The Mountain

#5 pouringreign

pouringreign
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:05 PM

All updates were sucessful. I skipped to #4 instead of doing the first net framework

#6 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 541 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:16 PM

Found this: at this page:

1. A user profile exists in the storage but it has disappeared.

In some cases, the profile exists in the hard disk but it just does not appear at the Welcome screen or in the User Accounts folder in the Control Panel. In such cases, the user may receive the following error message when he/ she attempts to create a new account with the same name; “the account already exists”. This happens when the user account has been disabled or is not active. Such accounts do not appear in the User Accounts or at the Welcome Screen. These disabled accounts can only be accessed in the Local Users and Groups window. To determine whether an account is active or not, follow this:

a. Go to RUN, type in “compmgmt.msc”, hit Enter.Posted Image

b. Double-click on the Local Users and Groups folder.

c. Double-click on Users.

If a user name is displayed with a red cross in the check box before it, this means that the account is disabled or not active. In order to activate the disabled user account:

a. Double-click the user name.

b. Unclear the ticked check box.

This way, the disappeared profile will show up again at the Welcome Screen as well as in the User Accounts folder in Control Panel.

Read more: http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows-platform/articles/33588.aspx#ixzz1AJ9HCaCA

Frank O' The Mountain

#7 pouringreign

pouringreign
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:21 PM

I'll try what you suggested. Thanks

#8 pouringreign

pouringreign
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:52 AM

My hunch is now that maybe the hard drive was somehow corrupted. I purchased a new hard drive because I thought that may have been one of the problems. A new motherboard was put in and was reformatted. Besides there being 30 different drivers, I put them all in and most of the devices worked. One that didnt work was the wireless driver. My feeling was reformat and start again. However if I put in a new hard drive, what if the laptop reverts to not finding the hard drive. I think I need help from Dell,but without a service tag number, I doubt I'll ever get through.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:53 AM

FWIW: Copy Data from a Corrupted User Profile to a New Profile in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

Louis

#10 pouringreign

pouringreign
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:56 PM

Well, I got to the bottom of the problem. It was that the hard-drive was bad. Put in a new hard drive and everything went well. I learned many lessons from this..you cannot get support from dell even if you have warranty time left over, if you do not know the person who was shipped the dell. I am so naive and beleive everyone is good...:) I bet he either stole the laptop or he bought it from someone who stole it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users