Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Updates settings have chagded

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Edcondi

Edcondi

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:27 PM

Windows Automatic Updates for XP Home Edition setting are off and cannot be turned on from the Security Centre. I've tried changing them from System in Control Panel, but all the options in the entire dialogue box are dimmed and cannot be accessed. Kindly help and advise if possible to resolve this. I checked for any recent Windows updates, but the scan showed that there aren't any required for my PC.
Thank you for your kind help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 denako

denako

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:15 PM

Do you currently have any anti virus installed and if so please state. Also, have you been doing any risky surfing or downloading that you may conclude that you have any type of malware on your computer?
http://randomforumtitle.com - Unofficial Deadmau5 Forums

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:17 PM

Hi Edcondi -
In addition to the reply from denako -
I hope that you do have XP SP3 installed so that you can install the updates - Support for XP SP2 has finished now -
If not please tell us, so we can link you to SP3 update/instalation areas -

Thank You -

#4 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:46 AM

Instructions for enabling Windows Automatic Updates can be found at this Microsoft Support page. Scroll down a bit for the WinXP portion.

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#5 Edcondi

Edcondi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:24 AM

Hi Edcondi -
In addition to the reply from denako -
I hope that you do have XP SP3 installed so that you can install the updates - Support for XP SP2 has finished now -
If not please tell us, so we can link you to SP3 update/instalation areas -

Thank You -

My deepest apologies for confusing this matter. I have XP SP3 installed and can download Windows Updates from the TOOLS menu in the Internet Explorer 8 browser. The problem is that I cannot turn on my Firewall. I have Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 installed, but the problem is that some protection components of the computer security could not be enabled and the PC is at risk. I await hearing from the Kaspersky support centre.
Thanks for the help and time with identifying the actual problem.
Kind regards

#6 Edcondi

Edcondi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:27 AM

Instructions for enabling Windows Automatic Updates can be found at this Microsoft Support page. Scroll down a bit for the WinXP portion.

Thank you very much for your kind offer of this helpful information.
Kind regards

#7 Edcondi

Edcondi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:34 AM

Do you currently have any anti virus installed and if so please state. Also, have you been doing any risky surfing or downloading that you may conclude that you have any type of malware on your computer?

I have Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 installed. Recently I trialed Ubuntu 10.10 without hard drive installation and surfed the net at random. About three years back the PC had got infected with the MonaRonaDona virus which was thankfully cleaned out with some dedicated help and I had WOT installed to look out for any risky sites.
Thank you very much for looking into this matter and offering help.

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:14 PM

Hi again -
You will find that your Kaspersky has turned off all other Firewalls and Antivirus programs during its installation (normal) -
This is so that there will not be any conflicts with its program - As with several A/Virus programs it prefers to run alone -
I hope some of this has helped -
Thank you -

#9 Edcondi

Edcondi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:20 PM

The Kaspersky support advice to do an application repair was run successfully a while ago. The Activation completed and after reboot, the required update of the databases was successfully done. My deep apologies for troubling you with this appeal for help to resolve the unexpected problem. I thank you for your kind help and instructions that have pointed me in the right direction to resolve the problem. Thank you very much.
Kind regards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users