Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver Updates

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jtphenom

jtphenom

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:52 PM

Hi folks,

I am running XP on an Optiplex 755. My network card is acting flaky. It stops working for no apparent reason (wired connection), and then starts back up after a while, again for no apparent reason. This is happening frequently.

Anyway, I want to update the drivers to see if that fixes it. So first I tell it to update automatically, and it tells me there are no newer drivers available. OK fine. But I want to make sure. So I go to dell.com and look at the drivers available. All they have are ones that I appear to already have on my computer.

So I go to intel.com, and they seem to have one available that is much newer, having been released just last month. But it's a completely different file format. My main question is if, on one of the sites, I'm looking at the wrong kind of file. Can anyone tell me if the files from both of the following links should end with the same result, or if one of them is not meant to be a driver, per se?

Here is Dell's link.

Here is Intel's stuff.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:21 PM

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18717&keyword=%2282566dm-2%22&lang=eng

Both are just self extracting .exe files. The Intel one is larger because it comes with all of the extra management software Intel packages with it.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 jtphenom

jtphenom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:28 PM

OK, thanks. I don't get this line from that link, though:

This software may also apply to Intel® Ethernet controllers.

Huh?? I thought that was the whole purpose of the download! Aren't drivers for the network card the same as software for the controller? Isn't it all one piece of integrated hardware?

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:02 PM

Huh?? I thought that was the whole purpose of the download! Aren't drivers for the network card the same as software for the controller? Isn't it all one piece of integrated hardware?

This download is a lot more than just drivers, it is a complete software suite for setting up/controlling a host of different network adapters.

"This software may also apply to Intel® Ethernet controllers. Support for built-in network connections is provided by the system or board manufacturer."

In other words, you are likely better off using the drivers that came with the motherboard. If you do use the intel driver/software package, extract it first, then use the driver update feature in device manager to find the correct driver (point it to search in the proper folder)without installing all of the software that comes with the package.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:03 PM

If reinstalling the drivers doesnt fix it you may have an onboard NIC thats flaky. I see them fail fairly often.

You could disable the onboard NIC and install a PCI nic card. Personally I like the Realtek cards.
Theyre cheap, maybe 15 bucks at the most and simple to install.

You may also want to scan the system with MalwareBytes AntiMalware to make sure we dont have malware that is interrupting your connection.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:23 PM

I think we got off on a tangent here with drivers vs actually troubleshooting/diagnosing the concern.

Are you connected through DSL, Cable, or on an actual shared network? Connected through a router? If you move the system to another wired network, does it flake out as well?

Ditto on network cards/ports failing. I buy NICs by the 5 pack/10 pack to replace defective onboard ethernet controllers. The symptoms you describe sound more like a hardware concern vs any sort of driver problem, but I have been wrong before.

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 04:18 PM

I agree that it sounds like hardware as well

Might be a bad cable. You might try another one if you have access to one.

I had a similar issue years ago at my house. Ended up being that the clip on the ethernet cable was broken off which caused it not to make a good connection and drop out.
Might be something to look at.

#8 jtphenom

jtphenom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:35 PM

Thanks for all of your replies, folks!

I have tried different cables. It's hooked to a switch, so I tried a different switch as well.

If you do use the intel driver/software package, extract it first, then use the driver update feature in device manager to find the correct driver (point it to search in the proper folder)without installing all of the software that comes with the package.

Oh but see the Intel file is an executable that extracts and installs all at once. No choice to just extract that I can see.

I was thinking this is a hardware issue as well, but I just wanted to cover my bases.

Are you connected through DSL, Cable, or on an actual shared network?

Shared company network. I'm actually a brand new IT tech at this company (yeah they know I'm inexperienced and don't know much).

Connected through a router? If you move the system to another wired network, does it flake out as well?

Yes it does.

What I don't get now is why, even after I have completely uninstalled the old NIC drivers, I run the executable from Intel, and it stops and tells me that the current PROset doesn't support upgrading, and that I'd have to uninstall and then try to run the file again (I already did uninstall!).

Thanks again for the help. You folks ROCK! :)

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:46 PM

Just for the heck of it, try it in safe mode with networking. I would be curious to see if it works then.

Im still thinking that you have a bad NIC card. The onboard cards seem to fail frequently.
Try another NIC if you have one. Make sure to uninstall the drivers for the existing one and disable the onboard in the BIOS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users