Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop not reading my USB and no system sound

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 srg55

srg55

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:25 PM

Hi
I recently had virus problems on my HP Laptop nx6120 and managed to clean them all out and also did a Repair using the XP CD. Two problems I have remaining now are :

1) The system sound doesnt play whenever I logon, logoff, shutdown etc . The sound works for playing media player files. I have gone to the device manager, where it shows everything is working and Ive also checked the sound profiles in the Control panel and tested each system sound for "logon, shutdown etc... and they all work.

2) The second problem I have is the laptop wont read my USB stick. The USB does activate and turn up in Explorer, but when I click on Properties it shows it as 0% used space and 0% free space. I tested the USB on another laptop and its fine and reads the files etc.
So, I then tried to formatt the USB on the HP laptop, but that didnt work. I then went into device manager under "Disk Drives" and uninstalled the driver.... pulled out the USB... and then plugged it back in to reinstall the driver. But the laptop still wont read it.

Hope someone can help me. Thanks in Advance!

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
Laptop: HP Notebook nx6120

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:45 PM

Hi srg55 -
You list XP Pro as your system - Do you know if it is running a 32 bit or a 64 bit system - To check please follow these instructions -
To determine which service pack is currently installed on your computer, follow these steps:
Click Start, and then click Run.
Copy and paste, or type the following command and then click OK:
winver
A dialog box displays the version of Windows and the service pack that is currently installed on your computer.
Please reply so we can help further -
The other way is to download Speccy from http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download and the top line will give you the information -

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 06 January 2011 - 09:57 PM.

#3 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:58 PM

For the sounds, did you try to switch to another scheme and then back to the one you want? That might wake it up.
One of the first things I do setting up a PC is turn off those sounds! I would consider it a blessing in disguise.

Did you try to format the usb stick on the "good" pc?

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#4 srg55

srg55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:12 AM

Hi:

It is 32 bit. I did the RUN and the dialogue box says: Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.0408030-2158: Service Pack 2)

I also did try to enter a new sound profile to test out - but that didnt work . I also did format the usb on the "good pc" which worked fine.

Incidentally today when I started up my computer two times during the day, I was trying to enter the control panel through the "My Computer" icon on my desktop. On both occasions I got 2 error dialogue boxes pop up... 1 was a Windows Explorer type of error. The dialogue box asked if I wanted to send the error details to Micosoft which I did by clicking on the link. The other error was a Dr Watson type of error which I also sent off. I closed the errors, and then tried again which worked fine with no errors popping out. I wonder if Im getting odd errors because of something funny going on in the registry or elsewhere???? If so, is there something I can run to clear any odd errors out?

#5 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:51 AM

Have you looked at the device manager to see if all devices are installed properly?
Rt clik My Computer/select properties from drop down/hardware tag/device manager
Does anything have a yellow exclamation point?

Also check this:

Start/run/ (type this in:) regedit
Go to/select HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
In the right column, the top key says Default .
Assure that the value of default says "(default value)" on the right side.

If it says anything else, delete the "default" registry key and reboot.

Another person fixed it this way: (I think you tried this already)

Go to control Panel
Click on sound and audio devices
Click the tab for Sounds
At the scroll down bar select windows ( not windows default)
Click Apply
Done

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 07 January 2011 - 10:07 AM.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users