Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Remove System Image Restore Points?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 chrischris

chrischris

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:31 PM

If I delete System Restore points in the usual way (delete all or all-but-the-last-one) as thru the Control Panel/System Protection>Configure, they all delete except for the System Image Restore Points (SIRPs). The attachment illustrates a 12/5 deletion....all "Automatic Restore Points" were deleted back to 11/15 when I bought this Win7/64 computer, but the SIRPs were left behind to accumulate. How do I get rid of the SIRPs?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:37 PM

Open your Start Menu and select Computer. Right-click on your HDD and select Properties. Left-click 'Disk Cleanup', then 'Clean up system files', then 'More Options' and then 'Clean up...' under System Restore and Shadow copies. This should delete your previous restore points.

#3 chrischris

chrischris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:09 PM

Zuhl....I had tried that (and just did again) and it doesn't work. I'm still left with the last "regular" restore point and all the SIRPs. But thnx. [note: I am checking "show more restore points"; if I don't, then the SIRPs don't show]

#4 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:33 PM

Where those system image restore points created with an external hard drive connected?

#5 chrischris

chrischris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:02 PM

Polar.....yes, because I store my images on an external drive....after the image is completed, I disconnect the drive. I only have one image on the ext drive (I either delete the old one or overwrite it). FYI, I'm enclosing a later (yesterday) screenshot after I tried to clear things up...same result.

#6 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:35 PM

When you remove restore points you need to have that external drive connected or the catalog gets corrupted. Similarly you must use either the System Protection or Disk Cleanup utilities to remove the un-needed backups from the external drive, you can't just delete them or it causes problems with the catalog. It will show points as being there even though they have been removed.

#7 chrischris

chrischris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:55 PM

Polar....assuming you're right (and I think you are), how was I supposed to know that? Nothing easy like XP! I've tried to remove the SIRPs via your method with no luck, I guess they're corrupted. Is there any way I can get them off the list? (registry, etc).

#8 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:13 AM

how was I supposed to know that?

Well, I found out about it the hard way too, so I have no answer for that.

The easiest thing to do is to just ignore them. The images are not there as you have already deleted them from the external drive. The catalog just thinks they are still there, so they are not taking up any disk space.

Deleting the catalog is not without risk since once it is deleted you will no longer be able to use any images that you already have, so if something goes wrong during the process you will lose the ability to restore your system to a previous point.

That being said, if you want to try it, this may work or it may just throw up an error saying operation could not be completed for one reason or another.

With the external drive connected, open up a command prompt as an administrator and enter the following to see if it removes your catalog and creates a new backup:
C:\system32\sdclt.exe /DELETECATALOGANDKICKOFFNEW
Press ok. Note that there is a space between the .exe and the /DELE

#9 fueL

fueL

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:52 AM

Turning off system restore removes all system restore points, it should prompt you when you turn it off asking if you're sure you want to do this (because it will erase all previous restore points)

You can simply just turn it back on right afterwards

#10 chrischris

chrischris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:20 PM

Polar....you clearly understand Win 7 better than anybody in the universe! Before I forget, I really want to thank you for all your help. I'm hoping to gather my courage and try your "kickoff" suggestion, it may take a day or two, I'll let you know. One thing I just remembered; sometimes I have two external drives hooked up and I put an image on one or the other a week apart...more redundancy! So some images were created on drive A and some on B. Did that cause more problems?

fuel...thanks, but that doesn't work...I think Polar's right, it's a corruption problem.

#11 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:44 PM

sometimes I have two external drives hooked up and I put an image on one or the other a week apart...more redundancy! So some images were created on drive A and some on B. Did that cause more problems?

Yes, that also compounds the problem. What can happen then is the drive letter may not remain the same. Depending on how you have your drive letters assigned, when you connect and disconnect external drives, if an assigned drive letter is already in use windows will change the drive letter to the next available open one.

Now windows backup will be looking on the wrong drives for the backups it created.

Before you try to delete the catalog, you can try connecting both of your drives in different combinations of one at a time and which one gets connected first and try and delete the restore points, you may get lucky.

When using windows backup it is best to stick to drives permanently connected. The best option for system images to removable drives is a 3rd party backup software. There are many available, like Acronis and Norton Ghost, but for free ones I use Macrium Relect Free Edition. It works well, is fast and it's free. The downside is unlike the paid versions you can't do incremental backups, but for full system images is is great.

#12 chrischris

chrischris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:47 PM

Polar....here I am, hat in hand again. I didn't get lucky using combos, so I tried the command prompt. But I am very unskilled at that...see attach. Where am I screwing up? Thnx

#13 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 04:12 PM

I think you need to run the Command Prompt from C:\Windows\system32

Edited by Zuhl3156, 07 January 2011 - 09:51 PM.

#14 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 04:39 PM

Yes, Zuhl is correct, my bad there I left out a level.

Go to the elevated command prompt again.

type: cd\
press enter
now you should see C:\>

now enter: windows\system32\sdclt.exe /DELETECATALOGANDKICKOFFNEW
press enter

Edited by PolaBar, 07 January 2011 - 04:40 PM.

#15 chrischris

chrischris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 04:53 PM

Polar....I guess not, ENTER just gets me a fresh line. Thanks anyway, I'm going to stick to one drive!

Zuhl...that link just gets me to Windows Live (which I don't use). But thnx.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users