Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't access "Uninstall a program"

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TJJunior

TJJunior

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:36 PM

Hello all,

Running Win 7 on a Dell desktop with no problems for 6 months. I was trying to load Internet Explorer 8 32-bit version and while the program is there, clicking on the link does nothing. As background, I need the 32-bit version to run Remote Desktop Web on a server I'm testing. I can run the 64-bit version with no problem, but can't load the 32-bit.

So my plan was to uninstall and re-install the 32-bit version, which is when I realized I had a bigger problem. When I open the control panel, there's a link to "uninstall programs" but clicking on it no longer does anything. I've tried rebooting, clearing temp files and registry issues with ccleaner, etc. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zuhl3156

Zuhl3156

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:49 PM

Open an elevated Command Prompt and type SFC /SCANNOW to run the system file check utility and see if it finds and repairs any damaged or corrupted files.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

#3 TJJunior

TJJunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:44 PM

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Thanks,

TJ

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:45 PM

What are you trying to uninstall?
Internet Explorer?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 TJJunior

TJJunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:04 AM

Yes, I'd like to uninstall and then re-install the 32 bit version of IE to try and get that running. However, I think the bigger problem I'm faced with right now is not being able to access that part of the control panel which is what brought me here. I'm able to run Chrome, Firefox, and IE 8 64 bit, I just would eventually like to be able to run IE 8 32 bit as well.

Edited by TJJunior, 07 January 2011 - 12:06 AM.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:13 AM

You can't uninstall Internet Explorer as it's a part of Windows.
In Windows 7, you can turn it off, but that's about it.
See here: http://maketecheasier.com/uninstall-internet-explorer-8-from-windows-7/2009/08/30

I was trying to load Internet Explorer 8 32-bit version and while the program is there, clicking on the link does nothing

Are you referring to a desktop icon?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#7 TJJunior

TJJunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:26 PM

You can't uninstall Internet Explorer as it's a part of Windows.
In Windows 7, you can turn it off, but that's about it.
See here: http://maketecheasier.com/uninstall-internet-explorer-8-from-windows-7/2009/08/30

In the link you sent, it says:

First, of all, open the Control Panel and from there go to the Add-Remove programs utility. In Windows 7, this utility is present under the Programs heading and named simply, Uninstall a Program. On the right hand side of the pane, you’ll see a list of all the programs that you’ve ever installed on your computer but Internet Explorer 8 will not be present in this list. To get to that, look at the left hand pane and you will see a link which says “Turn windows features on or off”. Clicking on this link will open a window with a list of all the windows features that you can turn off (or on).

That's what I'm trying to do! My problem is, I can't access the Add-Remove programs utility, that's my main concern and reason for posting here. I'm not sure when it became unaccessible, I've tried multiple system restore points and no luck.

As for IE, I can click on Program Files/Internet Explorer/iexplore.exe and it successfully runs the 64 bit version. However, when I click on Program Files (x86)/Internet Explorer/iexplore.exe nothing happens.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 04:40 PM

Please, start new topic in "Am I Infected?" forum to make sure, your computer is clean.

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users