Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade my motherboard

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OneSillyBilly

OneSillyBilly

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:00 PM

I have a Gigabyte GA-7VM400AM(F)motherboard with a Semperon 2400+ which has started to run very slow.
Would my PC be any faster if I put in a higher rated CPU. I'm going to put in another 512 ram module to bring it up to the maximum 1025 MBytes so I hope this will help.
Like everyone else the funds do not stretch too far these days so I have a limited budget and this is only a home PC as I'm not a gamer.
Thanks for your advice.

Edit/Delete Message

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:28 PM

Unless you can get a CPU for next to nothing, or ideally free, I wouldn't put a new CPU in it. Every penny you put into this current setup is money you won't see again, nothing can be moved to a modern system.

RAM will definitely help (I assume you are running XP). Besides the RAM, cleaning up XP by cutting off background programs/cleaning up the programs that autostart will do a lot to help. How many processes do you have running when you go into "Taskmanager", what is the CPU usage when idle? I usually like to see 32 (on average) or less processes running on a normal system. Sometimes you can get over 50 processes running, taking up CPU time, if you don't watch what loads.

Edited by dpunisher, 06 January 2011 - 01:29 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:53 PM

I completely agree with dpunisher on this one mate.

The cost effectiveness of a new cpu wont be justified, and adding more RAM is much cheaper, and a much better/easier solution.

The usual course of action such as a defrag should be done also.

Are you familiar with MSCONFIG?

If you need any help getting your system to run faster using what it already has available, we can surely help you out there.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#4 OneSillyBilly

OneSillyBilly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:26 PM

Thanks for your posts guys.
What sort of money are we talking about to upgrade the motherboard then? Are they easy to fit? Will they come with CPU & Ram? I suppose we are talking in hundreds now aint we?
I appreciate your input and if a new motherboard is too expensive I might suck my dummy and go for some new memory but I will certainly take your tip and use a couple of cleaner programs.

#5 msgplacide

msgplacide

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:15 PM

A good old Back-Up and Format is always nice once in a while. I usually do it once or twice a year.
Asus M4A79 Delux
AMD Phenom™ II X4 920 Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
7166MB RAM Kingston PC5300 DDR2 667MHz
2 x 500GB hard drive
800Watt Antec Power Supply
Check out my sites
online millionaire satellite direct

#6 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:19 AM

A new motherboard can be purchased but then ur looking at compatibility issues from your old hardware on your new board, and end up having to replace alot more then you need to. Unless the MOBO went bad I dont suggest replacing it, in your case. Motherboard usually dont come with a CPU and RAM when you buy them, but you can surely find bundles online that include those parts.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#7 OneSillyBilly

OneSillyBilly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:01 PM

Well you have all been a great help and I'll look around and see what I can get or else I'll just have to put up with what I have until I win the lottery.....!!

Thanks once again and have a Happy New Year.

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2011 - 06:15 PM

Have you checked it for viruses and spyware yet?
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users