Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acting like infected but nothing on the scans

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 seg42

seg42

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:05 AM

I have a laptop that a guy in the office brought to me. The laptop shows signs of being infected, including taking 10 minutes commonly to boot, locking you out of both device and disk manager, sudden strange lags when trying to use certain system tools. He has a tendency to load "cool and helpful programs" he's heard of, and denies loading anything later, and this isn't the first time he's come up with a virus. Starting the computer up in safe mode removes all these probelms. I've scanned with kaspersky, SAS, malwarebytes, and HAve gone through program files and I can't find anything actually harmful. I'm trying a second round of scans in safe mode to see if that turns up any different results, but I'm not hopefull. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 seg42

seg42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:14 PM

I just tried the SAS scan in safe mode and it stopped scanning and the program shut down right in the middle of the scan. My boss thinks it is a rootkit. What could i use to check?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users