Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adobe Flash player won't work

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Clark

Dave Clark

• Members
  • 215 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:51 AM

Hi,

I have downloaded and installed flash player10 but cannot get it to work on either IE8 or Firefox. I have done everything Adobe suggest on their site including using their uninstaller then rebooting etc etc.
I have even disabled ALL internet A/V programs so not even a firewall to interfere with Flash Player.
Strange thing is that even though the installer says it's installed, I went into Add/Remove programs, the Flash Player is there but it dosn't have a size like all other programs.

I'm running XP Pro

It's driving me mad as I can't visit the sites I want to

Regards,

Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:13 AM

Dave, are you attempting the download from the Adobe website or another source? Only suggestion I can make is remove\uninstall from Add\Remove Programs and try downloading from Adobe Flash Player page at the Adobe site.

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#3 Dave Clark

Dave Clark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 215 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:48 AM

Hi Tulsa Rose,
Many thanks for you quick response but I did down load from Adobe Site and tried all of their suggestions but none worked. I have now used system restore to go back to when I new it last worked. All is now fine

Kind Regards,

Dave

#4 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:27 PM

Completely remove it from add/remove programs. Now visit a site in firefox that requires it (YouTube is a good choice, go there and choose any video). You should be prompted to install the needed addon, follow those instructions and see what you get.

Note: Make sure to close your browser and reopen it after making any changes.

EDIT: Turn your anti virus protection back on if you have not already done so. It rarely messes up things such as Adobe Flash. I can't recall it ever doing things to Flash unless the PC was already infected.

Edited by NpaMA, 06 January 2011 - 06:28 PM.

#5 Dave Clark

Dave Clark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 215 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2011 - 04:20 AM

Hi Folks,

As I said in a previous post I had to use System Restore to get it working. I tried everything, visiting sites and using their links, using Adobe unistall program etc.etc. but it still would not work!

Regards,

Dave

#6 SnitchMO

SnitchMO

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:57 PM

Hopefully, it will continue to work for you. However, I've had the problem with it for a LONG time. I've attempted the uninstall then reinstall, but the only thing that seems to work is restoring to a previous time. It's like playing the frickin' lottery!

And to clarify: I have restored to an earlier time, things will work, but then out of the blue, it will start to mess up again.

#7 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 18 June 2011 - 02:54 PM

I wonder if you are running the most current, updated version? Latest update is 10.3.181.23 I'm almost afraid to say this but I never have a problem with it, running WinXP Pro and IE8. Seems like using System Restore to cure the problem would take your system back to an earlier version of Flash??? I don't know...never use System Restore.

Rosie

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users