Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shout Out to sUBs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cuui

Cuui

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:22 AM

I know that this program was pulled from certain popular download links, but I ran it due to problems with a leeching memory + inability to do a windows update and secure the integrity of my system (windows xp professional 32 bit). I am not an expert by any means, but I identified what was going on through investigation and google searches and ran this program and it eliminated the root kit presence in my system (vaguely familiar with this!) I hadn't even realized I wasn't receiving windows updates, truly ignorant. Every time I tried to run a windows update I would get a page cannot be dispayed error in my browswer. Even when I tried to attach a text file with a link to a windows update site/windows update files to my hotmail account and send it to myself, I would get an error during the attach process. Obviously this was a sign that my system had been seriously compromised. I had another computer to conduct further investigation (refer to post by ceedubya http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/cant-display-windows-update/185775.html) but it was ultimately this program that eliminated what NOD32 identified as an OLIMARK trojan and all the other crap finally led me to (like my memory being bled). Anyways, I don't know who sUBs is but I would like to give a great should out to him/her/development team. The program tripped me out for a second because it gave me system-generated sounds and warned me that I might damage my system because I was running Avasti anti-virus and NOD32 from ESET (please refer again to http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/cant-display-windows-update/185775.html. I ran avasti because this is what it suggested. I already had NOD32.)

So, I cannot speak for everyone's situation, but this helped me tremendously and made things so much less confusing. Thank you sUBs and combofix!.

Edited by Blade Zephon, 06 January 2011 - 02:29 AM.
Moved from XP to a more appropriate location.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:29 AM

Hello Cuui.

We are glad that you have managed to resolve your issue. Congrats! :thumbup2:

However, please take note of the following for both your future knowledge and the benefit of anyone else who may read this thread.

ComboFix (CF for short) is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for personal, unsupervised use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. When CF is run without trained assistance, it can no longer be considered a "safe" tool. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

You may find this topic to be informative - ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here

Again, congratulations on resolving your issue. Happy Computing!

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#3 Cuui

Cuui
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:30 AM

I should also mention that I ran malwarebytes like that post I'm referring to suggested. I'm sorry if it seems amateurish to do exactly what someone else said but I was truly grasping at straws and now just want to show my gratitude to this program, that, thus far, has repaired all the problems I can identify that were associated with some kind of malicious software of my system. Including: Memory leeching, browswer hijacking, start up/shut down hangs, prohibiting windows update. The list probably goes on, I was just not aware.

#4 Cuui

Cuui
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:38 AM

Thanks for your response Blade Zephon. I hope that in my posts I have conferred that I ran ComboFix at my own risk, and would only say that other users should do the same. I want to ask you a question now. Since everything seems to be stable with my system (For readers' reference):

Windows XP Professional 32 Bit
gigabyte p35 ds3l motherboard
6850 core 2 duo
4 gig ram
good ati vid card

Can I assume that everything is ok? Like, do I need to run ComboFix again now that I'm getting Windows Updates and everything seems to be running smoothly?

Thanks.

Edited by Cuui, 06 January 2011 - 02:43 AM.

#5 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:39 AM

Hi Cuui:

Please don't misunderstand: I'm not chastising you for running ComboFix; what you do with your computer is ultimately your business. I simply want to ensure that everyone is well informed. :)

Can I assume that everything is ok?

I'm unsure to be perfectly honest, I don't have the information necessary to do a full analysis. If you want to be absolutely sure everything is okay then you can submit a help request to our Malware Response Team and they will take a look at your scan logs and make sure everything is okay. Fair warning, the MRT is a volunteer effort and we're constantly backlogged so there will be a bit of a wait. If you want to take this route then please follow the instructions in This Guide starting at Step 6.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it HERE Please include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to try to resolve them. Additionally, since you have already run ComboFix you will need to provide the log it generated. It can be found at C:\ComboFix.txt

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users