Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows is asking to format the C drive

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 K92littlered

K92littlered

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:47 PM

I was working on my computer, preparing to run the CCleaner. The program wouldn't open, and my computer froze. I turned the computer off by holding the button for five seconds.. Upon restarting, windows gave me a message saying 'A disk in drive C is not formatted. Would you like to format?" What is confusing me is that if the C drive wasn't formatted, wouldn't the computer not work at all? I'm currently posting from it, trying to figure out what to do.. All my desktop icons besides the recycle bin, and internet explorer have vanished. The computer is also running incredibly slow. I can still open any program I want, but they take a while to start, and are slow.

Now, I would rather not lose the things I have saved on this computer. Would anyone be able to tell me if I can save what's on the computer and return it to normal? It's still functioning at this current time, but it's still not normal. Please help me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:54 AM

Hi -
Please list the make and model, and RAM installed (if you can), also are you running XP SP3 fully updated -

Thank You -

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:50 AM

Take a screenshot of Disk Management and post it, please.

Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Generally, I would interpret any message such as you received...as an indication that either the file structure (NTFS) or the hard drive itself...has problems.

I would try running the chkdsk /r command as a first step...this can detect some file system problems.

Louis

#4 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:05 AM

Is XP installed on C?

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#5 K92littlered

K92littlered
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:44 AM

As an update to my problem, I would like to note that all other users on the computer are not having this problem.. It only happens after starting up windows XP and logging into the computer under my own name. I am currently logged into this computer as a different user and am having no problems. Should I check the disk management under the user that is having the problems?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:12 PM

Yes.

Although...if multiple users exist and only one experiences this problem...that doesn't make sense to me, since it would seem to point to a profile problem, rather than a file system or hardware problem. In any case, let's see what we can see :).

Louis

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:01 PM

Just for safety sake, it wouldnt be a bad idea to backup your stuff just in case
In the beginning there was the command line.

#8 PolaBar

PolaBar

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:16 PM

if multiple users exist and only one experiences this problem...that doesn't make sense to me

Yes, very strange. No matter what the disk or file error, you would never normally see that message after the login screen. Without a formatted disk, you couldn't get to the login screen.
I'm wondering if it is some form of malware.

(unless as FrankOtheMoutain speculated the OS is not on C:)

Edited by PolaBar, 06 January 2011 - 03:46 PM.

#9 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:30 PM

have you observed MSCONFIG for this account? START/RUN (type this in box:) msconfig (then hit enter).
Are there any weird entries in the startup tab?

Frank O' The Mountain

#10 K92littlered

K92littlered
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:45 PM

I checked the disk management, and this is the screen shot I took. Unfortunately, I couldn't attach the file directly because it kept telling me the file was too large.. When I tried to insert the image code.. It wouldn't let me do that either, so I simply put the link. I'm sorry for being difficult... ^^;

http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q150/arucardslover/?action=view&current=Managementscreenshot.jpg

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:46 PM

That worked nicely, thanks :).

You seem to have an 80GB hard drive, with recovery partition and some other unnamed partition.

I would have to treat the hard drive as if it's about to fail...and move forward from that perspective.

Louis

#12 K92littlered

K92littlered
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:45 PM

Sorry for being so clueless... But what should I do...? Everything else is working except for that one bit...

#13 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:48 PM

have you observed MSCONFIG for this account? START/RUN (type this in box:) msconfig (then hit enter).

Frank O' The Mountain

#14 K92littlered

K92littlered
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:57 PM

Yes.. I checked it and didn't see anything that seemed abnormal.

#15 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:03 PM

Maybe run the files and settings transfer wizard to save your ID's setup and files, and create a new ID and apply the wizard data. If the error goes away, then ditch the weirdo ID.

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 06 January 2011 - 08:04 PM.

Frank O' The Mountain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users